Treatment for Sunken belly and fin clamp in CPD

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Which internal parasites do you suspect? We can get meds for some types but not all.

Which internal parasites do you suspect? We can get meds for some types but not all.

I think some kind of nematode worm. The fish were eating but not growing and now they arenā€™t interested in eating. I am preparing a garlic dip for food to try and entice them.

The best meds I can find are melafix and internet anti internal bacteria though I am not sure either will work.

Nematodes (round worms) use levamisole which is in eSHa ndx. Flat worms (tapeworms) are treated with praziquantel which is in eSHa gdex.
Flubendazole is supposed to treat both - that's in Kusuri Wormer Ples.

But before using any medication you need to confirm that the fish really do have parasites as treating for something the fish don't have is never a good idea.

Nematodes (round worms) use levamisole which is in eSHa ndx. Flat worms (tapeworms) are treated with praziquantel which is in eSHa gdex.
Flubendazole is supposed to treat both - that's in Kusuri Wormer Ples.

But before using any medication you need to confirm that the fish really do have parasites as treating for something the fish don't have is never a good idea.
Thanks. I did have some panacur-c (flubendazole) which I have used to treat the 2 in the quarantine tank. I donā€™t want the main tank to crash from it killing all the snails.

When I turned the lights on In the main tank this morning the 1 CPD with a slightly sunken stomach (fins are fine and swimming ok) was swimming alone at the top and didnā€™t react to me turning the lights on, I tried to snap a picture of it.

Unfortunately 1 of the 2 in quarantine was dead this morning, I have some close up pictures and this is pretty much how it looked when alive too. Iā€™m not sure but it looks like it has a lump on the top of its head too.

Attachments

• F3909368-0853-4E46-8418-BEF8F8B4D69A.jpeg
    F3909368-0853-4E46-8418-BEF8F8B4D69A.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 62
  • EA15D0B6-B59D-4EC7-8BCE-2CDB374B58D8.jpeg
    EA15D0B6-B59D-4EC7-8BCE-2CDB374B58D8.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 67
  • A3FEAA63-6585-4E06-B4BC-C30A155D2B3E.jpeg
    A3FEAA63-6585-4E06-B4BC-C30A155D2B3E.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 8B3D0208-A6C6-467A-8130-3DBEF0EA48C4.jpeg
    8B3D0208-A6C6-467A-8130-3DBEF0EA48C4.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 65
I have noticed this 2 different groups of danios Iā€™ve purchased in the last year. They have all wasted away and died. Not sure what is going on but I have decided to stay away from the breed for a while.I did treat with a General Cure but no improvement.

I have noticed this 2 different groups of danios Iā€™ve purchased in the last year. They have all wasted away and died. Not sure what is going on but I have decided to stay away from the breed for a while.I did treat with a General Cure but no improvement.

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the info. Hmm the protrusion from the head seems to be getting bigger in the one that died, maybe general decomposition but that would be quite quick.

There is a species that looks very similar but has stripes and not dots though the name escapes me at the moment. Hopefully all of the others pull through, if not I will probably look towards these or something else.

Update:
Unfortunately this morning the second CPD that was in quarantine also died. I suspect they were both stressed from being removed from the tank and stopped feeding, but the warning signs were both there before I removed them, the remaining 4 seem to be doing ok with no fin clamp but one with a slightly smaller belly. All fish have been feeding better by infusing food with garlic.

The other species that I was talking about is the emerald dwarf danio/rasbora, (danio erythromicron) not quite as pretty, but they may be more hardy. I saw these in my LFS about 6 months ago.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back