Treating white spot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sarahw20000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i noticed ziggy had a bit of white spot so i put the relevant amount of interpet treatment in and i've got to do one more dose on day 4.

The thing is because his vase is uncycled i'm doing 50% water changes every 3 days and my last one was monday so i'm due one tomorrow.

If i do a water change surely i'll be removing most of the treatment but i can't not do a water change coz of the ammonia build up :S

Should i do the change and then add more treatment and if so how much should i add and will it harm him by overdosing?

I really need someone to answer this, like now!

I've just tested his ammonia and it needs changing before i go to work, if anyone knows please tell me!

Most medicines lose their effectiveness after 24 hours, so I'd just change his water and add a normal dose of medicine afterwards. If you've already added medicine today, then add a half dose.

I just re-read an article on Ich in Tropical Fish Hobbyist that mentions moving fish from one tank to another every 12 hours and raising the temp in the tanks to speed the lifecycle of the hatchling parasites. The Ich cannot survive more than 3 days without a host, so it would require 6 tanks or containers. The author did it a bit different, moving the fish every 24 hours and used 3 tanks. She also used filters that filtered very small particles. She had tried meds in the beginning and the Ich was resistent, so she did this.

With a betta bowl, you could do this easier. I plan to try it with buckets if my fish ever get Ich again since I don't have 3 extra tanks.

The author also said that netting loosened some of the parasites and they could be seen on the bottom of the tank. Ick! <g>

P.

come on who(once you start havin bettas) is going to have an extra tank!!! :p good idea with the buckits :D i think i might do that if my fish ever get ick...sept for my oscar...hes kinda BIG for a pucket :D but ya gotta love him

Alix said:
come on who(once you start havin bettas) is going to have an extra tank!!! :p
[snapback]847254[/snapback]​

lol I know it sounds impossible, but it really is advisable to try to have at least one in case of emergencies. I always keep a hospital tank handy in case anybody needs to be isolated, and I have an extra goldfish bowl that would do well in a pinch. Buckets, of course, should work just as well :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back