FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I bought several water sprite plants from ebay. Should I do a presoak in diluted chlorinated water or do any other pretreatment before adding to the tank? I know to soak with decholrinator after treatment. I am soaking them in plain tap water for now. I want to plant some in the sand and the rest I will float on surface. Want to be sure no snails are present and no disease came with the plant.

A botanist once wrote that anything strong enough to actually kill algae or snails will harm the plants, so don't do it.

Disease of fish could arrive if the plants have been in a tank with fish, but here again there is no way to treat the plants except placing them in a QT tank for a few weeks, though I cannot say that would eradicate any disease pathogen but something like ich or velvet would be dealt with if no fish are present.

Soaking them in tap water is fine, and there is no need to follow this with dechlorinated water.

In the past, to kill black beard algae on plants , I have soaked anubias plants in very diluted chlorox...19 parts water to 1 part of chlorox for 90 seconds with no ill effects...and then soaked in plain tap water with double dose of dechlorinator for several minutes before putting plants back into tank. Perhaps water sprite may be too delicate for this treatment though. I will contact seller to see if any fish were in the tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back