Treating ill clown loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My clown loaches have picked up ick and are not doing well. The tank is nearly 4 years old. The only thing added in the past 6 months was a group of cherry barbs (on May 7 so nearly a month ago). They are laying on their side. Last night i added one does at around 70% (7 capful) of kordon ick treatment. I've also raised the temp to 88. My plans are later today to add another 7 capful of kordon. THen tommorrow to do a 30% water change and perhaps tomorrow after noon add another 7 capful. I'm leary of kordon since the loaches are scaleless and this isn't healty for them but i'm also concern since they are not doing well. The only other fish I've seen with ick is one serpae tetra (I have 2); i've not seen ick on any of the other fishes (zebra loaches, cardinals, angels, various pleco).

I'm not even 100% sure it is ick but i think it is - the dots look a bit finer than i remember ick should be almost like powder sugar. I'm not sure if i should wait and see if the heat is enough to kill it or if i should be adding more kordon rid ick plus. I'm not 100% sure the cherry barbs triggered it - the other thing i had done was added a spray bar to the fx6 about 3 weeks ago. I removed it saturday since the current was causing issues with some of the fishes.
clown.jpg

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this!
With the photo, the water spots on the glass are throwing me off - making it hard to see what's on the glass, and what's on the fish. It doesn't quite look like ich to me either, but perhaps? Give the glass a good clean inside, and wipe down the outside with water and paper towels, then try to get some good photos of the suspect fish. I know that's easier said than done! Video might be easier?

Something about clown loaches at the moment. Yours is the third current thread with poorly clown loaches. Breaking my heart! Crossing fingers for you that they're okay soon, and the heat clears it up.

Here is another not great picture. This one is beating his tail up and down but maybe it will help:
clown2.jpg

Here is another not great picture. This one is beating his tail up and down but maybe it will help:
View attachment 160735
Doesn't really help I'm afraid... see the white dots on the glass in the bottom left corner of the photo? Those are definitely not on the fish, but would look a bit like ich if you're looking at the fish through that spotty glass, ya know?

Poor thing on his side and beating his tail :(

Might also help to describe what you mean when you say they're not doing well. In what way?

Laying no their side in a fashion that is not normal. It is almost certianly either ick or velvet from my searching of descriptions. I'm leaning towards velvet - but it doesn't really fit either. It is very fine sugar but not yellow - more white. Here is a third picture:
clown3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back