Treating Clown Popeye Ammonia Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wildstyle4

Reaction score
hiya, ive had to setup a qt tank due to my old clownfish injuring her eye and getting pop eye, im on day 2 of myxazin which treats popeye, 1.5-2ml of it in a 28liter qt tank, think is i need to do water changes cos the ammonia is creeping up ever so slightly and i want it nominal, the question is can i change the water 24hours after the days treatment then put in the next days treatment or do i need to keep adding the treatment without changing the water? what can i do

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the particular medication. If the medication is meant to be used daily, then add it right after you do a water change. If instead the medication expects that there is a minimum duration of some number of days between adding doses, you can try to scaling back the dosage to a daily amount that can be added after water changes.

You can also use ammonia-binding chemical products to lower ammonia levels in an emergency, but make sure the product specifically says it works with saltwater (and, of course, water changes area always better when possible). Some products that bind ammonia include a lot of other things though that can sometimes neutralize medications. For example, Prime is my preferred emergency additive for ammonia/nitrite when an immediate water change isn't an option, but I'm not sure whether it would cause problems with myaxazin.

hi thanks for your input, the stuff im using is from waterlife for ulcers and fin rot which does popeye aswel hope this helps, ill have to devide 1.5-2ml between my litres to get how many drops of this stuff to replace when i do a half water change daily. because i really dont like having ammonia, would it be ok to add some kind of ammonia eating chemical recommended for new tanks?

would it be ok to add some kind of ammonia eating chemical recommended for new tanks?

That's what I was referring to in my previous post as an ammonia binding product. They can be used in emergencies (again, make sure it works in saltwater), but doing more frequent water changes is preferable though if you can keep the levels in check with daily changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back