Treating Angelfish W/ Internal Parasite(Metro Doesnt Work)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zulu

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Ive been dealing with a parasite disaese with my angelfish for 1 week right now.I seperated it when i saw stringy slimy clear poo.
Main tank was 22 gallon heavily planted tank with weekly %25 wc.Eeçheim 2213 canister filter.1 angel 3 otos and 2 saes are only other in habitants.Only other fish added after was another angel which is perfectly healthy.
Im now treating it with metronidazol in a seperate 5 gallon container w/ airstone heater etc.I add 250mg(500mg somedays) everyday with water changes.I also soak its food in metro.Im not at 7th day and still dispose white feces(can see some brown bits green bits)
Weird thing is besides white feces(its not slimey anymore) fish is perfectly healthy.Swims actively, eats like a pig no bloat etc.
I think i will switch treatment to praziquantel(asked a vet and she said she will give it to me) maybe its a case of worms.
Any suggestions?
Maybe my metro dosage is too low?Another cause for white feces?
Also does eating metro soaked food may cause white feces, i know its not very water soluable.

it sounds more like something called Hexamita. It is something we see in cichlids quite a bit. Stringy white poo is the first sign of it. I'll refer you to this that I posted a while ago

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/439927-hexamita-bacterial-infection/

There's all the info there that you'll need to fight this. It is a killer if you don't get on top of it quickly. Once the fish stops eating you've lost so if your is still eating then you should be able to get on top of it.

Thats what i suspected at first thats why im treating it with metronidazol.
Because of some stupid law i cant find fish medicine here so if you can tell me the needed active ingrident for the needed treatment will appreciate.
Im trying to photograph the feces right now will upload it shortly.

The medicine you are using is, as far as I know, the recommended medicine for Hexamita. It needs to be treated with an anti-biotic and that is what metronidazol is. Getting hold of epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) should be no problem at all. It should be readily available in pharmacies no matter what country you live in.

Have you read the link I provided? All the information you need is there

293adew.jpg

Dont know if this is any help , its not full white but not your usual angel feces.
I will still try a praziquantel(deworm) bath just in case.
Yes i read your link thanks i will try to find epson salts.
How long did you continue the treatment?

that looks like normal poo to me. With Hexamita it looks like they are trailing a long length of white sewing thread.

Either way the epsom salt won't do any harm and I'd run it for a week and see what happens

1zh1zig.jpg

Newest sample they are quite white
yfgc0.jpg

And here they are under 75x microscope
I wonder if these very small black "hairs" are dead worms.They dont move under view but i saw some very small clear looking things move.

Most reactions

Back