Trauma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Humbug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry i havent been on for a couple of days. On wednesday i was completly gutted to wake up and find my spare bedroom tank all over the floor.
It had developed a huge crack underneath overnight and all the water had drained away to kill all the fish. Or so i thought. Among the fish to die were 3 silver sharks 6", 6 Harlequins, 2 Odessa barbs and 2 flying foxes. When i went about the grim task of picking the dead fish off the dry substrate one moved. I quickly filled a bucket with siphoned water from my main tank and set about finding anymore survivors. In all i saved only five fish, 2 Pearl Gouramis 5", one male cherry barb, 1 khuli loach and my cherished pair of Humbugs 5". I was so relieved to find these fish alive and they are now happy in their temporary home of a breeding tank.

In memory of those fish i write this somber post. :( :-( :-( :-(

ahhhh sorry to here that god you must have been gutted :sad: :sad:

completely gutted mate, i wanted to just slump to the floor but i couldnt i had too much salvage work to do.
But hey some of them survived, i dont know how, i am unsure how long they were without water for it couldnt have been long before i got up. But what hardy fishes to survive an episode like that.
I salute you pearl gouramis, humbug cats khuli loach and lonesome cherry barb. :-( ;)

so glad that some survived :thumbs: did you say your silver sharks survived??

No friad not, i fear they were one of the first to go, they are very sensitve fish. So pretty, maybe a little skittish but a joy to watch gliding around in the tank. Always active, i will definately get some more. Maybe i can talk the other half in to getting me a bigger tank for christmas now. I play on the sympathy vote i reckon! :sly:

yes there realy great fish i have 2 there getting realy big now, :)
i'd like more but need a bigger tank,

Gutted to hear about that tradgic event, but you had survivors though, god knows how, yes play on getting a bigger tank :D play on the sympathy vote every bloke falls for it and put on some tears :-( works also.

slt just get a bigger tank, problem solved :thumbs:

Sorry to hear humbug.
I know the feeling way to well. Had it happen right before my eyes with a 55g. All the fish lived but it was a nightmare trying to relocate into tanks that didn't have simmullar species or were they would not get done in.

Lucky for the survivors though.
Was the tank on an unleveled surface ? Or did ya have that bad boy over loaded with weight towards one side ? Stress crack... yikes !
danny

I dont know how i got the crack, there was definately no overloading. I think that the surface it was on on was probably not up to the job there may have been too much movement throught the floor boards?
I initially thought that the room may have got too cold and the heat from the tank may have combined with this and the surface to make a lethal cocktail? Not sure but hey.
It has also been my worst nightmare realised, its made me paranoid now i check on all my tanks constantly.
Thanks for all the messages guys. :)

Only got online again today - just read your sad news :( :-( That must be our worst nightmare. Glad you managed tosave some. Christmas is just around the corner - hope you get your new tank :)

I can't think of anything worse than what you experienced. :( I hope you're on Santa's fish list. :D Some how there should be aquarium insurance to protect us against such disasters. I hope you have more than one aquarium to soften the blow.

Agate :)

Danny - the lost soul--- said:
How are the survivors doing ?
Surprisingly they are doing really well. With all that stress i really did fear the worst.

-The khuli is up to his usual tricks, whizzing up and down, in and out of the air bubles like a Fish possessed.

-The Humbugs are their normal shy selves still coming out at night to feed though. One has a slight white mark next to his pectoral fin where i think he has rubbed. It hasnt got any fungus on it but i wonder if anyone knows they best way to treat it?

-The Cherry Barb is acting normally going around the tank as though he owns it.

-The two pearl gouramis are quiet but showing no signs of stress, they just gracefully glide in and out of the weeds like ghosts. I dont think they like the flow rate in their temporary home though. Hopefully Father Christmas will bring them a new home though!

Thanks guys i really apprieciate the messages all very comforting :D

Sometimes the aquarium will crack if the surface it is sitting on is not completly level this means there will be more pressure on some parts of the glass.

I'm really glad that your survivors are doing well, keep us posted on their progress :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back