Transferring to Larger Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Luna0341

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can I take an already cycled tank (10gal) and transfer everything from the filters, decor, and substrate to a slightly larger tank say 20gal long, without having to cycle it? This could be stupid question, but I figure it's slightly more water volume, nothing really changes, I'll have the same fish stock ( no additional fish). Is this possible? Or not ideal?

And if this is possible.... Could I go larger than 20gal? Say 30 or 40? Or will this still have a new tank syndrome effect on the tank?

The fish will be a bit "spooked" for a couple of days, but other than that, transferring all the surface stuff (filter, filter media, plants, decor, and even substrate" means you don't have to cycle, as all these surfaces carry the bacteria on them. Just don't let the surfaces out of the water for too long, or worse dry; because that will kill the bacteria. You can even transfer trh water if you want, that way you only have to top up with fresh (and of course dechlorinated" water, and it'll be like a 50% water change.

Anything bigger I'd say is still doable if as you say it will be the same fish. The main thing to care for is to ensure the surfaces don't dry to prevent killing the beneficial bacteria you're trying to transfer along with the fish.

Right, this is exactly what I was thinking. I know how the bacteria works and how to transfer it without killing it. Just haven't read of anyone doing it.

It just occurred to me that the bqcteria inside the glass surface won't transfer. So, as a way to help, maybe buy a bottle of "bacteria in a bottle" to help boost the colony in the new tank. As long as you have the existing colony transferred and keep monitoring the water for the first 3 to 5 days, you should be ok

Right, this is exactly what I was thinking. I know how the bacteria works and how to transfer it without killing it. Just haven't read of anyone doing it.
Ahhh,I see.
Well,, I did a transfer from a 10g to a 12g. Just got lucky and got a free, bigger tank that I could put my dwarf gourami on. Did it just as described, fish and plants still thriving.

I plan on doing the same when I move my other fish from the 29g to the 55g that I have sitting in storage right now

So it would be safe to assume I'd be better off with just a small upgrade, say from 10 to 20 and not 10 to 30?

I'm between ideas on what I want to do. The 10gal just ain't it. My tank is doing great, and my fish have been doing well, it's just a boring tank. 10gal just isn't enough to work with, my options are so small.

There will be a small "cycle" the new tank goes through so keep an eye out on ammonia and nitrites but it will be perfectly fine to do the transfer

So it would be safe to assume I'd be better off with just a small upgrade, say from 10 to 20 and not 10 to 30?
I think that going up to 30 would be safe and near foolproof. As mentioned just keep a close eye for any spikes on ammonia or nitrites for the first week or so.
Going up to something larger, personally I would definitely have "bacteria in a bottle " to help support and boost the existing colonies until the new tank's glass is also "colonized". Since you're keeping the same number of fish, at least initially; I'd go for it without hesitation. Good luck! It's always great to "upgrade".

Just transferring the filter across to the new tank will usually suffice. I have taken air operated sponge filters from 2 foot tanks and put them and the fish into a 4ft tank and had no issues with the tank cycling again. If you move gravel and plants across as well, there is even less chance of a problem.

You don't need to transfer the water across unless you want to. It doesn't contain much if any beneficial bacteria, but does carry a lot of harmful disease organisms.

------------------
Before you move everything across, do the following:
Do a gravel clean the day before. This removes a lot of the gunk in the gravel and makes the job cleaner.

Clean the filter a week before so it is cleaner but has a week to recover from the clean.

So I actually had a question about gravel cleaning cause I just did one today. I think my vacuum is to big, I think it was made for much larger tanks. It worked but my vacuum is too wide and long. I was only able to clean maybe half my tank and it took up about 50% of the water. Which was okay because I needed to do about a 50% water change( because of high Nitrates due to plant fertilizer, I usually do about 10% once a week and that keeps my parameters in check). With my little 10g tank I think I need a smaller vacuum, I was hoping to vacuum whole tank. When I transfer over to 20gal long, I'm switching to sand substrate for my Cory Cats. ( Before you criticize, I already know, I didn't know about sand and Cory's when I got them, that's one of the reasons I'm upgrading, so please don't hate me in the comments, I'm working to correct it, and my Cory's are doing okay and are healthy at the moment)

This is my tank

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_203855672.jpg
    IMG_20220720_203855672.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 29
By the math you could say it's overstocked but for real I really don't think it is, bioload is minimum, my parameters stay perfect week to week with 1 gal water change ( 10%) once a week. My Cory are not active ( they need sand and they need bigger tank and maybe a couple more fish in their ranks, my Betta hasn't bothered any of my fish, my Endlers actually school together kinda, and it seems to be working. I'd like to go up to a 20gal long, to give my Betta more space, and pick up a couple more Cory.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back