Transfer to external filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

A Fishkeeper

Reaction score
I have an established tank with an internal filter. I have just added an external filter, I have read that I should run them both for 6 weeks and then transfer the old media into external filter and then I can remover the internal filter. I’ve squeezed the internal media into the tank to try and give some goodness to the new filter.
Am I doing the right thing?

6 weeks sounds a little long, IMO, I'd give it 2...does the external have the same filtration capacity as the internal?...more?

The external is significantly bigger. Ehiem classic 250.
Excellent, love the Eheims...yeah, I'd go 2 weeks, tops...if it were me (because I abhor internal filters), I would have switched them out as soon as I had the Eheim...as long as you preserve your original media from the internal (immersed in old tank water), you wouldn't lose your cycle...but waiting a few weeks won't hurt, either

Excellent, love the Eheims...yeah, I'd go 2 weeks, tops...if it were me (because I abhor internal filters), I would have switched them out as soon as I had the Eheim...as long as you preserve your original media from the internal (immersed in old tank water), you wouldn't lose your cycle...but waiting a few weeks won't hurt, either
I only set it up today. Would it be with me adding it now? I’m a bit intimidated by the thought of opening filter now it’s up and running. The instructions were rubbish. I’ve watched some videos to try and help. I’m so scared of creating a mini cycle. My tank is overstocked while I wait for my second tank to finish cycling.

I only set it up today. Would it be with me adding it now? I’m a bit intimidated by the thought of opening filter now it’s up and running. The instructions were rubbish. I’ve watched some videos to try and help. I’m so scared of creating a mini cycle. My tank is overstocked while I wait for my second tank to finish cycling.
Yes, one thing lacking about the Ehiems are the instructions, they're terrible.
Let it run a few weeks, then plan on getting the internal out of the tank during a WC, the lower water level will simplify things a bit.

Yes, one thing lacking about the Ehiems are the instructions, they're terrible.
Let it run a few weeks, then plan on getting the internal out of the tank during a WC, the lower water level will simplify things a bit.
Ok will do. Thank you.
when I turn it off, if I close the valves can I keep it primed?
also which level do I need to add my old media to?

Yes, turn off the filter, close the valves, and remove the external from the hoses.

When you open the external, it will be under a bit of pressure, relieve the pressure slowly with the upper valve.

Open the external, add the seeded media (which level doesn't matter), then close the external.

Bring the external back to the tank. Be sure the intake hose for the external is filled with water...attach to the hoses, then open all the valves...any water that was drained from the external while it was opened should be refilled by gravity from the tank...then, turn the external back on.

Yes, turn off the filter, close the valves, and remove the external from the hoses.

When you open the external, it will be under a bit of pressure, relieve the pressure slowly with the upper valve.

Open the external, add the seeded media (which level doesn't matter), then close the external.

Bring the external back to the tank. Be sure the intake hose for the external is filled with water...attach to the hoses, then open all the valves...any water that was drained from the external while it was opened should be refilled by gravity from the tank...then, turn the external back on.
Thank you.. do I need to drain it to add the old media? Also will it matter if I squash the old foam to make it fit? I know air is essential for the bacteria. Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I’m scared of creating a problem and causing a mini cycle.

More than welcome.

You can squash the old foam, cut it into pieces, whatever it takes to make it fit, just DON'T let it dry out, make sure it stays soaking wet with old tank water the entire time.

Never apologize for asking questions, it's how we learn ;)

More than welcome.

You can squash the old foam, cut it into pieces, whatever it takes to make it fit, just DON'T let it dry out, make sure it stays soaking wet with old tank water the entire time.

Never apologize for asking questions, it's how we learn ;)
??

I always leave my original filter in about 6 weeks. What’s it hurt? I don’t want the.cycle to crash. I have an extra in my panda tank that’s been there almost 2 months. I have to disagree on this one. I think 2 weeks is not enough time. Me sorry. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back