traded tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I moved my turtles to my other empty 40 gallon tank. I removed the gavel from the 40 gallon turtle tank because it really needed a cleaning and replaced it with clean new gravel. I did not touch the tank sides at all. The under gravel filter plate I gently rinsed off the grim with clean water. I left the algae on the side of the tank and filled it with treated water. I replaced the air stones, up take tubes and heads. Do you think there is enough bacteria there still to consider the tank cycled for freshwater fish? The sides of the tank still feel like there is a film there. Same with the filter plate and bottom of the tank.

I would be more concerned over possible bacteria from the turtle that might cause trouble for fish. I'm not an expert in this field of microbiology so I just make the point. I wold certainly thoroughly clean any tank or equipment from a turtle tank before using it with fish.

As for cycling, no. The filter and the substrate are the primary beds for the good bacteria. With respect to the fish tank, once cleaned and ready, some fast growing live plants, floating plants being the best for this, will "silent cycle" without specifically "cycling" the tank. I have always used this method for over 20 years now without any incident.

Most reactions

Back