• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
my Bearded Dragon Sunny has a dental disease called Pariondontal Disease. He has a growth in the front of his lip. He is in a lot of pain. But his biggest problem is that he has a broken jaw. He somehow broke his jaw, and has a bone infection. Bone infections are nasty. They start in the bone marrow, and tear apart the bone.

So there are 2 decisions. I drop $1500 on surgery where the vet clears the bone infection, fixes the broken jaw, and treats the pari disease, or I euthanize. He is only 6, and Beardies average lifespan is 12 Years. I do want to spend my money on something else, so I am leaning towards euthanasia, but that is never easy. What would you do?

*My parents will pay for half the surgery, which is 3k*

Ah, think Iā€™d actually pay for the surgery.

You can always save money again in the future to get what youā€™d like, money is not everything and you wonā€™t get the same bearded dragon again if he gets euthanised.

This is something you will always remember for what you do here, think carefully and be sure, only you knows what is the right thing to do here.

Everyone has their own opinions but this is not their bearded dragon, itā€™s yours and your decision.

These are the things I would consider, were it me -

Do you have the money, or will you need to go into debt?
Will he have a decent quality of life if you go through with the procedure?
What are the odds of the surgery being successful?
How long will it take him to heal?
What will his care be like after the surgery? Any new feeding requirements or added expenses?

I have very limited knowledge of the situation, but if it were me I think I would euthanize. That is an awful lot of money (not that it wouldn't be worth it), when there will likely be more ongoing issues as he ages and there is no guarantee on the procedures success. It sounds like you have given him a good life, you're doing your best, and trying to make the right decision now. Ultimately, I would do what you feel like is right.

my Bearded Dragon Sunny has a dental disease called Pariondontal Disease. He has a growth in the front of his lip. He is in a lot of pain. But his biggest problem is that he has a broken jaw. He somehow broke his jaw, and has a bone infection. Bone infections are nasty. They start in the bone marrow, and tear apart the bone.

So there are 2 decisions. I drop $1500 on surgery where the vet clears the bone infection, fixes the broken jaw, and treats the pari disease, or I euthanize. He is only 6, and Beardies average lifespan is 12 Years. I do want to spend my money on something else, so I am leaning towards euthanasia, but that is never easy. What would you do?

*My parents will pay for half the surgery, which is 3k*
Heartbreaking decision.
I'd personally let him go, sooner rather than later. He's obviously suffering and there is no guarantee the operation will leave him with a pain free happy life.
When we take animals into our lives 'knowing' we will see them out is a big commitment and sad ultimately, but that's life and we all go in the end.
I'd reflect on the life you've given him (which I'm sure was great and he was spoiled) and let him go.

There is no guarantee he will have quality of life after the operation.

When my son had a bearded dragon that was ill we were told they they donā€™t always cope with the anaesthetic very well. I think Iā€™d go for the euthanasia and not subject him to any more pain. Sad decision to have to make thoughā€¦.

Sorry matey ā˜¹ I had to put my dog down this year and it was one of the most painful things I've had to go through...whatever you decide, best wishes ā¤

When my son had a bearded dragon that was ill we were told they they donā€™t always cope with the anaesthetic very well. I think Iā€™d go for the euthanasia and not subject him to any more pain. Sad decision to have to make thoughā€¦.
Yeah, heā€™s been great. Iā€™ve always had him out. He chases the vacuum before he was sick.
Sorry matey ā˜¹ I had to put my dog down this year and it was one of the most painful things I've had to go through...whatever you decide, best wishes ā¤
I know. I had to put my dog down. I have never lived without him. He was a Boston Terrier.

Yeah, heā€™s been great. Iā€™ve always had him out. He chases the vacuum before he was sick.

I know. I had to put my dog down. I have never lived without him. He was a Boston Terrier.
I had a dachshund...I've never been so sad and lost
18301405_10214018312472092_6915077581921506349_n.jpg

Never easy having any animal put down.

I worked at dog kennels in the past and Iā€™ve had to take dogs to the vet to have them put down due to mostly medical reasons.

Once actually watched a dog being put down, lovely black spaniel, not even my dog and still found it enormously hard to go through the procedure and had a tear or two at the end.

It hurts, like physically hurts and that was not even my dog!

So do spoil the dragon with his favourite tasty treats and do what he enjoys as much as you can and you enjoy it too, donā€™t think about it too much, just enjoy it as though as all is normal but spoil him rotten!

I worked at dog kennels in the past and Iā€™ve had to take dogs to the vet to have them put down due to mostly medical reasons.

Once actually watched a dog being put down, lovely black spaniel, not even my dog and still found it enormously hard to go through the procedure and had a tear or two at the end.

So do spoil the dragon with his favourite tasty treats and do what he enjoys as much as you can and you enjoy it too, donā€™t think about it too much, just enjoy it as though as all is normal but spoil him rotten!

Okay, I've been trying to avoid this thread because my 15 year old dog is very unwell and we're at the point of having to decide when to call the vet and have them come to the house. It's been a long drawn out illness, and so hard to decide when to call time.

Saying it was a spaniel broke me, and has me sobbing. It's so hard when you're grieving a pet you still have... but hard to tell how much of him is still there. Mine is a black and white spaniel.

I've been there when we've had to have animals put down before. When you grow up with a lot of pets - many of them rescues, it happens. I've usually just known when the time has come. But this time he fell ill, recovered, fell ill, recovered, then the decline has been gradual, but he wasn't distressed or in pain, so we've just been caring for him and loving on him while we can.

But we've been talking about having the vet come this week... and I can't handle it. SCHEDULING it is breaking my heart. We keep wanting for him to enjoy a few more days in the sunshine, but don't want to be cruel and keep him around for our sakes, and not his.

I'm still not processing the loss of my 17 year old cat last year. I was with him when the vet ended him suffering, and I know that it's nearly always a peaceful process. I'd had that cat for so long, he'd been with me most of my adult life. I still can't look at photos of him yet.

Man, I love having animals. The joy they bring over their lifetimes does outweigh the pain of losing them. In time. But in the thick of it now? Man, I can't even think straight about it.

I watched my dog get put down. He had a brain tumor which caused him to walk in circles and always have his head pointing to the side where the tumor was. He had arthritis as well. It was a shock. He was fine for one week, and then he got diagnosed with Brain Cancer. My last memory of him was him walking around, bumping into the table trying to find his beloved tennis ball.

Most reactions

trending

Back