Top Fin 25g Bowfront

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qquake2k

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Top Fin 25 gallon bowfront from PetSmart. I didn't realize it doesn't have a top frame, although the top does fit down over it. I've never had an aquarium without a top frame. Will this seriously affect the strength of the joints? I'll admit, it makes me nervous. The silicone is all that is holding it together.

Attachments

• frame01_edit.jpg
    frame01_edit.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 616
  • frame02.jpg
    frame02.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 742
  • frame03.jpg
    frame03.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 595
I recently purchased a Top Fin 25 gallon bowfront from PetSmart. I didn't realize it doesn't have a top frame, although the top does fit down over it. I've never had an aquarium without a top frame. Will this seriously affect the strength of the joints? I'll admit, it makes me nervous. The silicone is all that is holding it together.
Ok, was this just a mistake in the manufacturing? Or is it sold like this? :)

Edit: Now that I look at the pictures more closely, I see at the back, it has that line of plastic, correct? I’m assuming that is where the filter/heater goes. I just think it doesn’t have a top rim, to make it look better. :)

There is no plastic on the back. Are you looking at the top that's sitting on it in the third photo? I'm guessing it was designed like this for looks. I couldn't tell when it was in its packaging, and they didn't have one on display. But how strong are silicone joints?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How thick is the glass?

The tank dimensions are 24.3 in L x 14.8 in W x 20.7 in H (61.7 x 37.5 x 52.5 cm).
The height concerns me. Most tanks that are 18 inches high or higher, need cross members to stop the front and back bulging out sideways. The curved glass on the front might be strong enough but I would contact the manufacturer (Top Fin) and ask them. You should also check the warranty and make sure it covers the tank bulging out or cracking and how long the warranty is for. Glass can take several years before it bulges out and the warranty might be void by that time.

I have decided I don't want to take the chance. I'll be returning it today. Aqueon makes a rimmed 26 gallon bowfront, I just need to find one.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I measured the thickness of the glass with a digital caliper. Looks like it's all 6mm.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
6mm thick glass is normally used on tanks up to 18 inches high.
8mm is used on tanks around 20-22 inches high.
10mm glass is used on tanks that are 2 foot high.

6mm thick glass is normally used on tanks up to 18 inches high.
8mm is used on tanks around 20-22 inches high.
10mm glass is used on tanks that are 2 foot high.

This one is about 21" high.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't see spending $400 or $300, or even $200 on such a small aquarium. I don't need a kit, just the aquarium and lid. I'm going to see what my LFS's have. There are several in my area.
Gotta, sounds like a plan! Keep up posted! ;)

I can't see spending $400 or $300, or even $200 on such a small aquarium. I don't need a kit, just the aquarium and lid. I'm going to see what my LFS's have. There are several in my area.

This is a good plan. All of my tanks were purchased as just the tank, a couple had hoods with the light fixture (when it was what I wanted). That allows you to purchase a good heater, and the type of filter needed which depends upon the intended fish species. "One size fits all" definitely does not apply to heaters or filters.

My LFS has this Fluval kit for $130. It is also rimless, but I would feel comfortable with it because it's a Fluval, and because the lid fights on it fairly tightly. The glass looks a little thicker to me, but I can't be sure, as I didn't have my caliper with me. I emailed Fluval, hopefully they'll respond.

Attachments

• Fluval01.jpg
    Fluval01.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Fluval03.jpg
    Fluval03.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Fluval04.jpg
    Fluval04.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 253
I believe @Lilyann has a rimless bowfront tank if I’m not mistaken. She can probably answer your questions.

My rimless bowfront is the Fluvel flex 9 gallon. I haven't had any issues at all, nor anticipate any. Looks very stable in a 9 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back