Too Much Or Too Little Tapwater Conditioner?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I dont use any chemicals in my tank. when i do a water change i turn on the air bubbles for an hour or two

How dose this take the Chlorine etc out of your water.

Where i live i have realy soft water, but still need to add Chlorine control.

Steve
an old man told me to do this and for over four years ive been doing it and theres been no harm to my fish ive had some of my fish for over five years including an archer whos about six inches and thriving ive had him nearly three years am tryin to post video at the moment

There are plenty of experienced fishkeepers who don't dechlorinate. The concentration in tap water isn't enough to kill robust bacterial colonies like the ones we have in our filters, and with a water change of less than 25% or so it wouldn't be enough to hurt your fish.

Having said that, I always dechlorinate; it's cheap and easy and makes me feel better, plus I tend to do larger than 25% water changes in my tanks. I dechlorinate enough for the whole tank volume before I start refilling, as I use a hose rather than buckets.

There are plenty of experienced fishkeepers who don't dechlorinate. The concentration in tap water isn't enough to kill robust bacterial colonies like the ones we have in our filters, and with a water change of less than 25% or so it wouldn't be enough to hurt your fish.

Having said that, I always dechlorinate; it's cheap and easy and makes me feel better, plus I tend to do larger than 25% water changes in my tanks. I dechlorinate enough for the whole tank volume before I start refilling, as I use a hose rather than buckets.

Same here :good:

player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid276.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fkk32%2Fsamirvine%2Fvideo-2012-07-11-22-01-11.mp4">
I dont use any chemicals in my tank. when i do a water change i turn on the air bubbles for an hour or two

How dose this take the Chlorine etc out of your water.

Where i live i have realy soft water, but still need to add Chlorine control.

Steve
an old man told me to do this and for over four years ive been doing it and theres been no harm to my fish ive had some of my fish for over five years including an archer whos about six inches and thriving ive had him nearly three years am tryin to post video at the moment

now i think i might of been dosing mine wrongly :( i've been callculating my dosage on a full tank volume. 36x22x16.
so my 180ish litre tank(taking sand/plants/wood into account) 5ml-38l of water =23ml.
not the amount of new water i've been adding. :(
i have been putting 20ml in. it also says to remove chloramine put 10 ml-38l. so i wouldn't say i've been overdosing because of the chloramine removal, but is that really needed on a weekly 25% water change?
now if it is callculated on new water added, which thinking about it, it would/should be, i should be putting around 6-7 ml in. is this correct? THANKS
i'm using nutrafin aqua plus..

Well, there are two ways of dechlorinating.

For the first, if you're using buckets, you just add the dechlor for each bucketful, for whatever the volume of the bucket is.

In the second, you add enough dechlor for the whole tank before you start refilling; this method is best for big tanks where you use a hose to refill.

It is very hard to overdose dechlorinator; you'd have to be tipping masses and masses in before it affected your fish, but you will, of course, be using more.

now i think i might of been dosing mine wrongly :( i've been callculating my dosage on a full tank volume. 36x22x16.
so my 180ish litre tank(taking sand/plants/wood into account) 5ml-38l of water =23ml.
not the amount of new water i've been adding. :(
i have been putting 20ml in. it also says to remove chloramine put 10 ml-38l. so i wouldn't say i've been overdosing because of the chloramine removal, but is that really needed on a weekly 25% water change?
now if it is callculated on new water added, which thinking about it, it would/should be, i should be putting around 6-7 ml in. is this correct? THANKS
i'm using nutrafin aqua plus..
When dosing I would not take displacement into account.
after looking and finding said product "nutrafin aqua plus"
oh my goodness after looking at the bottle for 10+ mins i found that the directions are under the label, what a wierd place to put them eh?
anyways it says :

1capful=5ml

to remove chlorine 5ml treats 10/us gallons
to remove chloramine 10ml treats 10/us gallons
to protect scales and fins 10ml treats 10/us gallons

I would switch to prime as it is much more concentrated and will save you money.
. but lets use the bottle you have.As horribly confusing the directions are.
You will need 2.5ml per 5 gal bucket.for basic chlorine removal. that is roughly 19 liters.
do the math from there.
Chloramine is 2x and ignore the last as it doesn't make any sense.

thx! so about 20ml is fine for 180l and x2 if i want to remove chloramine. i'll try prime next time i need some more. is the prime ok with a planted tank as it says it breaks down nitrates etc?

Edinburgh have a habit of dumping large amounts of chloramine into the water supply without any warning, so I always double dose just in case.

thx! so about 20ml is fine for 180l and x2 if i want to remove chloramine. i'll try prime next time i need some more. is the prime ok with a planted tank as it says it breaks down nitrates etc?
It is fine in planted, it wont break them down but rather just bind them up into a less toxic to fish form.

Most reactions

Back