Too much filtration?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WiccaFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Need some advice.
I have a 75 gallon with a Fluval 406 canister, a sponge filter , air stone (not turned o. In the video) and I just bought a Fluval HOB 110. Is it overkill? I feel like the 110 is causing too much water agitation and unfortunately my Pearl Gouramis might not be happy with it. I wanted to add a second filter because A. I've been told there is no such thing as too much when it comes to filtering (I may have been misled) and B. I want a back up filter running in case my canister breaks and to have some good bacteria for my quarantine tank.
Should I go with a smaller size HOB?

It looks OK to me. How many filters do you have in that tank?

Fluval 406 canister, sponge filter, and just got a Fluval 110 HOB.
Overkill?

The 406 is plenty for that tank. The air stone is optional, not needed. Personally I would add more plants, inclding some fast growers. The 2 vidoes in your first post are great examples. Plants remove ammonia and nitrites, without creating nitrates. If you have enough the sponge filter with the plants will keep you covererd in the event of a failure.
I've been told there is no such thing as too much when it comes to filtering
Its a great slogan if you make or sell filters. In reality there is no benefit to any more than enough.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much filtration.

All extra filtration does is move the water round faster. Sedate fish - gouramis for example - don't like a lot of water movement so adding extra filtration to a tank containing sedate fish will stress them. Sedate fish need a slow water flow. With that many filters, you need to have them all set to the minimum water flow, which makes it pointless having several filters when one alone would be enough. The Fluval 406 is rated for 100 gallons. This filter alone is enough for a 75 gallon tank.

As long as the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, there are enough bacteria and/or plants to remove the ammonia made by the fish. Adding extra filtration will not grow more bacteria - the numbers of bacteria are determined by the amount of food not by the amount of filter capacity.

I've seen it parroted over and over...."there's no such thing as too much filtration". But this is WRONG...at least as it applies to mechanical filtration. To a degree, filters merely help with water clarity, not purity (see The Dirty Truth About Filters) as trapped detritus decomposes and pollutes the water. With some (wild caught) exceptions, most of our fish in the hobby are bred and raised in ponds, tanks, or vats and are not used to currents created by mechanical over filtration and since over filtration does not aid in cleaning water, it's just a waste of money and energy!
A better saying (as in my signature) is "there's no such thing as too much fresh, clean water". :)

I took it out this morning. It was just too much. I want more tall plants but am having a hard time growing them for some reason. They are growing but very slowly. Any suggestions on some fast growing tall plants or floating plants?

Oh, and all water parameters are good. My ph is a bit high at 8.2 but it's constant.

Water sprite, Amazon frogbit and water lettuce are floating plants which have long roots. The roots on my frogbit reach down to the bottom of the tank. These would make the tank look at though it had tall plants. My pearl gouramis spend most of their time swimming through the frogbit roots.

I agree completely with the above posts from essjay, AbbeysDad and seangee.

Pearl Gourami were mentioned but I don't see any in the video...but they will not do well without floating plants (your other fish would appreciate these too) and significantly less current. If the plants are swaying or moving about, there is likely too much water current for such fish. In tanks with plants, the filter's only task is to move the water to some extent, and thereby remove particulate matter through mechanical filtration. The needs/expectations of the fish regarding the water movement should be primary.

As for tall plants, Amazon Swords should do well. The common largish sword, Echinodorus grisebachii var. bleherae, is an easy plant provided it has substrate tab fertilizer. And the floating plants essjay mentioned are ideal for gourami and water quality.

I would have gotten rid of the sponge filter, and kept the HOB, but it's personal preference...I don't like sponge filters, but I DO like having a backup filter, in case one of them fails...is the flow from the Fluval HOB adjustable?...airstone is not needed, in most cases

How high is the water level in the tank?

Water level is up to the rim. I was hoping I could reduce the water flow but moving it from all the way open to all the way closed made no difference. I looked around online and saw that was the consensus with others that own the filter. Kinda stupid to even say you can reduce the flow when in actuality you can't. Maybe if someone can recommend another HOB that you CAN reduce the flow I would be interested in getting it.

I agree completely with the above posts from essjay, AbbeysDad and seangee.

Pearl Gourami were mentioned but I don't see any in the video...but they will not do well without floating plants (your other fish would appreciate these too) and significantly less current. If the plants are swaying or moving about, there is likely too much water current for such fish. In tanks with plants, the filter's only task is to move the water to some extent, and thereby remove particulate matter through mechanical filtration. The needs/expectations of the fish regarding the water movement should be primary.

As for tall plants, Amazon Swords should do well. The common largish sword, Echinodorus grisebachii var. bleherae, is an easy plant provided it has substrate tab fertilizer. And the floating plants essjay mentioned are ideal for gourami and water quality.
They were hiding because the flow was too strong. As soon as I turned it off they came out of hiding. I will definitely look into some of the floating plants, especially the ones with the long roots. Do any of them clog the intake tube?

If the roots get neat the intake tube they might clog it. A lot of members with floating plants make a barrier to keep them away from the filter. Airline tubing anchored to the front and back of the tank seems a popular way to do this.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back