Too much air

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimboid

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it possible to put too much air into a tank? I put a post up a while ago about my pangasius which kept bloating up and expelling air at the top of the tank.

He has been ok for a while but the yesterday he was really bloated again.

I noticed that the water level was low both the spray bars from my filter were above the top of the water and were putting in loads of air.

An hour later after I had topped up the tank and stopped the air going in he look fine and back to normal, and had no problem staying at the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone had a similiar problem?

Thanks

James

jimboid,

Your not actually putting air into the tank. When the water surface is agitated/moved then this allows for the exchange of harmful gases and allows fresh 02 into the water column!!

IMO this is not the cause of your catfishes problem. I'll look in some of my books and see if I can find anything resembling your problem and post it if I do.

May be awhile though so hang tight!!

CM

I've got a pangasius which we've had for about 6 years quite often you'll see him going to the top for a big gulp then he dives back down to the bottom expelling all the air but I've never noticed him blotted I've heard they can grow upto 3 feet long mines about 15inchs long now he is kept in a 4foot tank but I'm in the process of building a 6 footer so he might grow somemore yet :D

Hi tdnp

They cetainly grow very quickly. A friend of mine brought them and didnt like them so we offered to take them on. At this point we were new to fish keeping and didn't realise the size they grew.

Two years later and ours are now well over a foot long and kept in a 6 foot tank. I think in the near future we will have to upgrade to an 8 foot tank.

We still see them in the local fish shops and there are no signs on the tanks telling people how big they grow and how quickly. they are not everyone's cup of tea but we love em....

Good luck with yours

James

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back