Too many mutt guppies - AGAIN

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
G

Guest14017

Here is my guppy tank today. I got rid of all the adult and juvenile males that I had and MOST of the babies maybe a month ago. Tank had only a few lovely guppies and I was so happy. Slowly more fish appeared... Now EXPLOSION again. I gave a ton of fish to one lovely lady who had kept me updated and taken beautiful care of them. But she cannot take anymore as I gave her a TON already plus tons of tiny fry.

Their welfare is the most important thing to me. I want them to all have nice homes. I am gonna try hard to get them homes again but HOW can I prevent them from continuously over running the tank???

HALLLLPPPP!!! The tank looks ridiculous with all these fish and they start fighting once it gets crowded which causes further issues.

Wow!! So many! I don't think there's any simple fix, except more tanks and maybe taking the females out. Not really sure, it really is a bit of a pickle you're in, lol.

Wishing you all the best, hope it works out for you soon!

Thank you. The thing is - the females are the ones I like. I love big fat fish and the girls are my favorites. I want all GIRLS. I have been trying to get rid of all the males. But the numbers keep going back up!

Me and the experienced guppy keeper I gave tons to are trying to work out a solution. She cannot take any more males but will take all the tiny fry for me.

This is my FIRST TIME with guppies and also livebearers (mostly owned outdoor goldfish) and though I love their activity and colors... The breeding is like nothing I have ever experienced. My tank looks horrible like a Petco display.

If you only want females, keep all the young females from the batch you had. And get rid of all older females and males. In that way, you won't have any offspring anymore. And you just feed them well, so those females will have a nice ferm build. Also a wellfed female can have the build of a pregnant female.

Awwww... I didn't want to get rid of all my big girls I raised from tiny fry when I first got into guppies. I love them the most. But maybe that is the best option. I gotta find someone who will take them all... Which is tough itself. Also most of the adolescents I see are MALES. Only a few girls.

Eventually if you do nothing the population will balance itself out to a large extent, The adult fish will eat the young when there are enough adults in the tank. I can remember a friend of mine had a swordtail tank same problem, she just left them alone, and the population balanced itself out and even though a small number of young would survive most were eaten by the adult fish.

If you're keeping those big ones which are still storing sperm packets, you'll still be having fry afterwards. Keep the daughters that haven't mated yet. And grow them as big as those older females. As I've already stated before, a wellfed female can look the same as a pregnant female.

Thanks a ton. After some thought, I think I am going to seek to give away my entire collection and move away from guppies. It'll be easier to do that than trying to separate the ones I want to keep etc. It is horribly hard to catch individual fish in that tank LOADED with tiny fish.

Thanks a ton. After some thought, I think I am going to seek to give away my entire collection and move away from guppies. It'll be easier to do that than trying to separate the ones I want to keep etc. It is horribly hard to catch individual fish in that tank LOADED with tiny fish.
That's an option as well...

Here is my guppy tank today. I got rid of all the adult and juvenile males that I had and MOST of the babies maybe a month ago. Tank had only a few lovely guppies and I was so happy. Slowly more fish appeared... Now EXPLOSION again. I gave a ton of fish to one lovely lady who had kept me updated and taken beautiful care of them. But she cannot take anymore as I gave her a TON already plus tons of tiny fry.

Their welfare is the most important thing to me. I want them to all have nice homes. I am gonna try hard to get them homes again but HOW can I prevent them from continuously over running the tank???

HALLLLPPPP!!! The tank looks ridiculous with all these fish and they start fighting once it gets crowded which causes further issues.
Do what nature does: Don't feed adults regularly

Last video of guppies. The blue male made lots of lovely blue males and I think they are so pretty. I cannot keep numbers down or foster good tank conditions so I am giving away ALL the guppies finally. Fun endeavor for my first time with guppies - but never again lol

Last video of guppies. The blue male made lots of lovely blue males and I think they are so pretty. I cannot keep numbers down or foster good tank conditions so I am giving away ALL the guppies finally. Fun endeavor for my first time with guppies - but never again lol
Nice looking crowd...

Sooo I have the same problem I had Two fish tanks and tried separation of males and females. This is hard though because it is sorta hard to tell them apart when you have so many. They bread-like wildfire. Under the right conditions. This is why they are a good starter fish. There are different perspectives on what I'm about to tell you. First of the most humain thing would be give or sell them if you can. However what im doing since That option is unavilable to me is feeding them to my bigger fish. I resect if that idea is not for you. However just thought id make mention that is what some people do.

Yes as I said - I am giving away ALL the guppies. The girl has many large tanks and can give them good homes. She comes to take them all Tuesday. I am aware of the predation option. I have a problem with live feeding. That is not an option I am willing to use. All will be well. Guppies are not for me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back