Too long tail weighting betta down

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that his face is doing way better, I need advice for another issue.

When I bought him he had a big chunk of his tail missing, around a quarter of it. I already knew it was tail biting because it wasn't shredded and there was no fin rot, but I thought it was because of the awful conditions they were keeping him in the pet store.
Now that his tail has grown back to almost 100% I noticed it is always downwards. Even if he is flairing he is not lifting it up. He can swim, but it looks like he is carrying extra weight so his movement is a bit ''heavier'' (I don't know how else to describe it). He rests more than usual the last 2-3 days, his breathing is normal and no bloating, no pineconing.
Also, today I caught him turning around while swimming and tried to bite his tail.
I am testing the water every day the last 3 days since I noticed he is not zooming around as much and everything is normal, he eats fine too and makes bubble nests.
I measured him and his body is 3.5 cm and his tail and bottom fin another 3.5 cm.

I rescued him from a pet store because he was in a very bad condition (I went to buy other fish and came back home with him instead). If I had a choice I would get a plakat.

I rescued him from a pet store because he was in a very bad condition (I went to buy other fish and came back home with him instead). If I had a choice I would get a plakat.
On behalf of the fish, THANK YOU for the rescue.

There’s no natural way to prevent tail biting.

Yes I have a wide sponge filter, broad leaves and redmoor that goes all the way up on the surface, there is sand too. I might consider setting up a shallow tank for him, I jusr need to figure out where to put it since I have no space for a second tank right now.

I've heard good things about adding a ping pong ball to the tank, so he's distracted playing with that rather than biting his own tail.
I've never kept bettas though, @EllRog is who I turn to for betta advice :D

I know parrots though, and parrots often turn to plucking their own feathers when they're not kept in the best conditions or when they're bored, and it can quickly become an ingrained habit they do, like people biting their nails. I know with those birds, providing other stimulation so they're occupied and less likely to pluck is often employed.

Don't get me wrong he is not resting all the time, just more often than usual, I am planning to add way more plants and fish too, he has a 18gal with over 100 shrimp to chase around. He doesn't seem bored just ''heavy'' and might get a bit tired cause of the huge fins. I don't know how much he was tail biting, and today it was the first time he tried to, he might do it again or maybe not. He is fine for now, just asking for advice before he gets really bad so if he starts getting worse to act immediately. Already have bookmarked the stuff I will need, seeding a second filter and will get extra plants for a second tank for him in case he will need it. :)

Don't get me wrong he is not resting all the time, just more often than usual, I am planning to add way more plants and fish too, he has a 18gal with over 100 shrimp to chase around. He doesn't seem bored just ''heavy'' and might get a bit tired cause of the huge fins. I don't know how much he was tail biting, and today it was the first time he tried to, he might do it again or maybe not. He is fine for now, just asking for advice before he gets really bad so if he starts getting worse to act immediately. Already have bookmarked the stuff I will need, seeding a second filter and will get extra plants for a second tank for him in case he will need it. :)
Sounds good! Lots of tall, broad leafed plants to rest on is good, and if you're thinking of another tank for when he gets older, something long and shallow would ideal - so he was space and water volume, but doesn't have far to reach the surface and has less water pressure from a shallow depth than navigating a deeper one :)

Good job on the rescue! It can be really hard to heal fin rot in these types of rescued betta, so you've clearly done well by him already.

Boredom and stress are the two main causes of tail biting. If you want, you can add some shrimp in there for him to chase. (As long as your tank is decently planted, the Betta won’t come even close to catching them)

He is in a tank with 100+ shrimp and 6 nerite snails, He ate at least a handful the first 2 days on January, but after that he might chase but rarely.

He is in a tank with 100+ shrimp and 6 nerite snails, He ate at least a handful the first 2 days on January, but after that he might chase but rarely.
He might not be bored, just stressed. If the tank located in a place with high traffic? How long do you leave the lights on for?

The most traffic is when I go to make some coffee and I pass by but not right next to the tank and the lights have a 24/7 cycle. I have seen him being stressed in the quarantine tank but not in the main one. He is very mellow in general, and he will stay close to me when I am next to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back