Tomato And Percula Clowns?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FLcracker94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A friend of mine is getting rid of his SW tank, and wants to know if I could take his tomato clown. I have a Percula clown at the moment, and I'm going to move all my fish into a 75 US Gallon tank. Will the tomato and perc be fine together? :(

Yup definitely bad idea

Tomato clowns are gorgeous but very aggressive

Okay this is total bull, I have seen tons of occasions in which these two species were housed together with no problems. Indeed my cousin once kept a false percula with a tomato three times his size and there was virtually no aggression; the perc certainly wasn't "beat to death" or anything near (though he was chased out of the tomato's territory from time to time). Furthermore, this was in a 33 gallon tank; the tank n question is a 75 gallon.

Not quite sure where you guys found that information.

lol, whoops, lemme go edit that first post, just realized we were talking tomatoes not maroons :shifty:

Tomatos and percs can do just fine as Lynden says. I wouldn't try it with a maroon clown, but should be fine with a Tomato

you oculd do it with a maroons, perculas and maroons can form pairs, but i have never heard of tomatos pairing with a perc.

The don't need to form a pair...

But even still, a maroon pairing with a perc is less believable than a tomato with a perc. Maroons and perculas are an entire genus apart, and though it isn't unheard of to have a cross genus pair (I myself have had an Oscar pair with a Blue Acara) it is incredibly rare and shouldn't be expected.

you oculd do it with a maroons, perculas and maroons can form pairs, but i have never heard of tomatos pairing with a perc.
I wouldn't put either a Maroon or Tomato with a Percula

I think it is highly unlikely that a Percula would pair with a Maroon - They are differnt families

its not as unlikely as you might think, im not suggesting it, but it would be more compatible than the tomato

its not as unlikely as you might think, im not suggesting it, but it would be more compatible than the tomato
I disagree - Maroons are very aggresive

Very few species of Clowns will tolerate other clowns

The exceptions are A. nigripes, A. ocellaris, A. percula and the skunk anemonefish

I am not saying that it is impossible to keep other clowns together - fish don't read books :)

But I wouldnt advise risking it

read around the internet and books almost all of the sites are gonna say NO, you need at least 200 gallon tank to have diff. species

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back