To Treat Or Not To Treat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Larkspur

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum. I decided since I am now caring for something other than just guppies I ought to join a forum that discusses more than just guppies. First off I won't lie. I have a tank that has entirely more fish than recommended. 10 in a 5.5 gallon to be precise. Don't bash. *Runs from the flying tomatoes*

I shall give you a little background on my tank. I got the tank about a year ago. Started with guppies and danios. Had trouble keeping guppies alive. Still do. So I decided to go with something else. A few weeks ago I added 3 asst tiger barbs to my tank that already had 3 asst danios, a lone surviving guppy, and 2 otocinclus. Then a week ago I was at walmart and they had the fish of the month which was a BN catfish. How could I resist an albino BN catfish? So I made a spontaneous choice to purchase it. It died 2 days ago. Took the fish back, replaced it with one of the 3 remaining ones at walmart and into my tank he went today.

All my fish seem healthy, but for 1. I believe it is a female tiger barb. She has very little red on her. She's been hiding in the plants since I got her while the other two dart around like they rule the tank. I keep expecting her to be dead when I wake up in the morning, but she keeps on going. Her coloring is drab. She seems weak and depressed. I have caught her once or twice "flashing" in the last several days, but because it hasn't been constant and its only her I dismissed the thought. I tend to be one to over-analyze situations.

I noticed on the tiger barb two or 3 extremely small specks on her tail. Have kept an eye on it. The specks are still there. Don't appear to be multiplying. I declared my tank had Ich last week. Waited to see more signs. None. I looked up on the life cycle and I believe by now with my tank being at about 78 F I'd have seen more specks develop in a good 4-5 days? Either way this fish in particular is stressed. I don't know if she's upset over a crowded tank (the others are happy and enjoy nibbling at the plants and digging around in the gravel) or sick.

And moving on to the new BN catfish I added today. When I went in today to get my replacement. (There was no refunding. Only replacing since they still had some) I just came from an eye exam. My eyes were dilated. I couldn't focus on anything within 5 feet of me. Had to hand my receipt and such to the walmart employee because I couldn't read off it. I was able to spot a rather frisky looking BN catfish alone in a tank with platy's. I asked, "does he look healthy?" The employee nodded. I didn't think twice and I was rushing to get home with the bright walmart lights pounding my poor eyes. It was bagged up and put in my tank when I got home.

Went BACK to walmart later on with my mom and went to look at the fish again with my eyes less dilates. Was checking out the platy tank and noticed several rather sizable white spots on 2 or so fish. There were only 1 or 2 flecks on each fish. On their tails if I recall. Of course in my head I was going, "You've got to be kidding me." It was after all the tank my new BN came from.

So now I have a second reason to suspect I /might/ need to treat my tank. I'd hate to have to. It'll be troublesome. Sometimes things come back to bite you in the rear. I have only quarantined a fish once and it was a guppy I got from walmart in the past. Neglected to with the BN. And the tiger barbs. And all these fish came from different locations. Different exposures to different things.

My BN seems fine, but then again I haven't had it 24 hours yet. My one tiger barb is hiding in plants stressing and has been pretty colorless for days. And I just noticed a single white fleck on the fin of my leopard danio, larger than even the flecks on my tiger barb's tail that is hiding. I thought it was an air bubble, but it's still there and now I'm concerned. I have 3 tanks in this house. My 5.5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon in my brothers room, and a bowl with 2 tetras upstairs that belongs to my other brother. All the fish equipment is used in all 3 tanks too.

What to do? What to do? And I just wrote a novel!

Here are some specs on my 5.5 gallon:
High pH, I use the recommended salt dosage, and I was told the water is hard. The tank has gravel rocks. No sediment. Contains java fern, amazon swords, and a banana plant.

well, at least the filters cycled.

before even treating take back (if possible) the BN, and the tiger barbs

then i would get if posible ich attack, it does not harm the bacteria in the filter and it wont kill any fish, im assuming you have a filter that cam with the tank and only has a filter cartridge, take that out and submerge it in tank water in a seperate container when treating the ich. then whaen the meds have run there course and there is no sign of ich/white spot, i would put the filter back in and start looking for the biggest tank you can get with about half your cash, minimum being 10 gallons as 5.5 would only be suitable for shrimps,bettas,prardise fish,africa dwarf frog,endlers,guppies,and ember tetras (not all together, in single groups)

dont worry, we have all been here, i even educated my self before buying and ended up going into this because of my dad. but now after a few months i have a 55 freshwater and a 20 gallon saltwater both doing really well

Well...can't return my tiger barbs. I've had them over 2 weeks and after 14 days I think Petco won't let you return things. And as far as the BN. I could take it back probably, but I won't get a refund. I don't know Walmart's policy.

I have an empty 29 gallon tank. I think part of me figured if I complained about not having enough room I'd get go ahead to use the 29 gallon. But, there is no room for it to be set up here (also lack a lid for it and stand) and I kinda didn't want to set it up until I'm in my own place. (I'm 21 and making preparations to find another job, move out, etc)

Ich Attack is a medicine name, correct? I plan on talking to my local fish store this weekend too. I'm hoping I can wait until then. Otherwise I'll go after work tomorrow or Friday. I wanted some advice offline too. I want to use my larger tank...BAD.

Oh, and my 5.5 gallon is an All-glass aquarium. The filter was purchased separate and is rated up to 15 gallons. The tank itself was a hand-me-down.

The only fish that you have that can survive in a 5 gallon is the guppy. So you should either get rid of the fish or put them in your 29. If I was you I would never buy fish at walmart. To give you a heads up now majority of the time people at you LFS do not know what there talking about and will just try to sell you something. Sometimes they do know what they are talking about which may be the case for yours I'm just warning you.

I'm lucky enough to have a fish guru for a local fish store. Unfortunately, people can tell me things and I tend to still do things my own way. I'm stubborn and learn the hard way.

Not buying fish ever again at walmart. And I discovered recently the fish expert at Petco may as well be me...which is a scary thought.

Danios can survive in a 1 gallon mop bucket. I haven't tried, figure of speech, but I used those 3 fish to originally cycle my tank a year ago to come to the realization they were here to stay.

I was just wanting some tips on what to use if I treat the tank? I know some medications can harm my plants.

A full size 14 inch oscar can survive in a 10 gallon tank to but it doesn't mean its the right thing to do. When you keep fish you don't look at it like well they will survive in that you look at what they will be happy in. Another way to look at it is you would survive the rest of you life locked in a closet but you wouldn't be very happy now would ya :good:

danios cannot survive in a mop bucket at all

anyway then yes put your fish in the 29 as soon as possible, just transfer everything and fill it half way until you can get a lid or risk it.

alongside with the meds get aquarium salt and bump the temp to 80. this should help substantially.

danios cannot survive in a mop bucket at all

anyway then yes put your fish in the 29 as soon as possible, just transfer everything and fill it half way until you can get a lid or risk it.

alongside with the meds get aquarium salt and bump the temp to 80. this should help substantially.

I already use aquarium salt. Should I be adding more than normal to the tank and if I do will it have any major effects on any of my fish? I'll go ahead and bump the tank up to 80. It's definitely ICH. I woke up this morning and the sick tiger barb now has a large white fleck on its side too and is visibly flashing on the exposed roots of my amazon sword. Poor thing.

I'm not waiting around. I'll definitely make a trip into town to get something to treat my tanks after I get off work tonight.

no, the salt you have plus the heat and the meds should treat the ich flawlessly, and when you g into town be sure to return whatever you can, the tanks too small.

I ended up getting Malachite Green/Formalin. Treating all 3 tanks 1 drop per gallon. Was advised to add the mixture only every other day for 5 days.

i thik that stains, and it is also deadly to catfish so dont use it with them in the tank.

It says not to use with things like shrimp and and snails. I don't own any of either. And in fact I have a couple pond snails that I got somehow in my tank. I'm not concerned about them as they're hitchhikers to begin with.

The only thing remotely close to a catfish are the BN catfish, but they seem to be tolerating the medicine fine. In fact all the fish are fine after the first treatment. I think starting it early may help me some in the long run. My stressed tiger barb is even out and about more and hiding less though I doubt just one treatment caused that much change. I shall see how things go.

be sure to take the catfish back before the return time xpires or your going to have to set up the 29 gallon whether you like it or not.

I can't return it as it was already a replacement for my last one.

I'll probably have my 29 gallon set up in the next 6 months as I don't /plan/ on still being in my parents house at 22, but plans have a tendency to fail. *fingers crossed* If all else fails my coworker owns a 29 gallon and is upgrading possibly to something even larger. She said she might take it in the future if I don't have my 29 gallon set up. For the obvious reasons she won't right now due to my...ick.

Told the LFS guy here about the BN catfish and he said it would be okay for now, but it will eventually be cramped in the tank.

Before I use my 29 gallon I have to find a stand and lid. I got mine from a garage sale about 9 months ago. Someone apparently bought it for a reptile, but never used it long. Still had the price tag on the tank, but it came with a screen lid rather than a hood. D: I've been currently stocking up on small things for the tank though. Already have a heater for it. The heater in my 5.5 is rated for a 30 gallon tank.

do not turn it on! its meant for a larger water mass, and having about 6 times less means if set wrong could literally cook your fish alive.

amd if its used for reptiles as long as it doesnt have a tag at the bottom that says dont fill with water you are fine, the fact it has a screen hood means it cannot snugly fit a hood over it. try looking at glass hoods, they should have some at petco. or you could just use the screen with an elevated light fixture.

if i were you, i would move out first, try to find a sturdy place that will fit the tank and it should hold your 29 gal. then just put evrything from the current tank into your 29 and then tell us and well keep going from there. dont get anymore replacement fish if any die. and your fish, if not exceeding 3", will be fine there for at least a few more months, but dont take my word for it.

at this point it is more of a matter to get your own place that you can afford and curing the fish and then focus on the fish's living quarters when everything is ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back