To Skim Or Not To Skim?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HappyGeorge

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well I'm expecting to be shouted at but here goes.

Lots of people including my LFS (trusted for 2 years, buyers of cichlids bred by me and everything to gain from selling me a skimmer) seem to think that a protein skimmer is not necessary.
I keep reading conflicting info most of it surrounding taking nutrients out of water causing CUC problems and the rest giving a number of alternatives.
The tank is an Orca MT50 with the 3 chambers at the back current plan is to use live rubble in last chamber with the pump, heater in 2nd and a block of the very porous black sponge cut in 2 with a layer of filter floss trapped between for removing anything nasty.
Using common sense I cant see how if I were to drop the water level in 1 and 2 below the weir into 3 and inlet level and then carry out a complete clean of chamber 1 and 2, i'e remove water and all sediment from them why they are isolated on a bi-weekly basis, would this not guarantee removal of nasty stuff and also eliminate the nitrate trap issue?
I know the main man in the LFS uses this method in his nano, as they do with the 2 nano's in the shop so it must work. Surely he would rather sell me a skimmer than a £2 bag of floss?

I am dubious because when I started keeping cichlids I read conflicting info and decided that based on common sense what I wanted to do was fine, and it was. I am in the same situation again.

If I am way wide of the mark could someone tell me what skimmer I can fit that doesn't involve stuff sticking out the top, building a sump or redesigning the lid.

Many Thanks Guys

It is ture that a skimmer is not 100% necessary

But i have ran tanks with and without them, one sniff off the thick gunk that comes out of one and you'll know buying one was the right choice.
you wouldnt believe what comes out of the water that you cant even see.

The water also looks clearer and corals healthier IME

It is ture that a skimmer is not 100% necessary

But i have ran tanks with and without them, one sniff off the thick gunk that comes out of one and you'll know buying one was the right choice.
you wouldnt believe what comes out of the water that you cant even see.

The water also looks clearer and corals healthier IME

I used to run my nano without a skimmer and things were ok.... but they were always just ok.
I have recently upgraded to a Red Sea Max 130 with a built in skimmer and things just seems a lot easier to manage. The water quality remains stable for longer where before i could never get ammonia below 0.01ppm.
Bottom line, i would not go without a skimmer again. Hope this helps you decide

Thanks guys, that Red Sea 130 is a pretty high spec looking system but don't think my wife would give that cabinet house room, got away with the MT50 as it has the curvy minimalist stand, so I can't see me upgrading anytime soon.
Question still stands as to what will actually fit in the tank refugum out of sight and wouldn't require any modification as I have plenty of oak skirting, door frames and doors to fit and really don't have time or inclination for tank DIY at the moment.

There is a product called poly filter made by underworld that claims to remove almost everything harmful from marine tanks including proteins. I have never used it but some of my friends swear by it as an alternative to skimmers. It changes colour as if gets full so you know when it needs replacing. You need to replace it regularly to stop everything leeching back into the tank

I am going to get some tomorrow for my 20l nano so i will report back on what it is like.

as Ben said really its not until you use one that you realise how much gunk comes out.

Mines a cheap skimmer on my small tank but its full of gunk everyweek and the tank did pick up slightly when I introduced it :good:

as Ben said really its not until you use one that you realise how much gunk comes out.

Mines a cheap skimmer on my small tank but its full of gunk everyweek and the tank did pick up slightly when I introduced it :good:

Just another thought, if you do decide to run the system without a skimmer it might be worth buying a small cheap one to keep in reserve, That way if water quality starts to go tits up you could always just hook it over the side of the tank when needed.
Better then loosing your stock. :S

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back