To sand or not to sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
They'll do just fine, here's some (quick, poorly done) shots of my tanks, all with PFS...sorry for the reflections, I usually take tank pics at night

The 10G, the 29G, and the 40B, in that order

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 150
I am concerned about my plants in sand.
@PheonixKingZ , are you planting in substrate now? I know both of us are huge fans of floaters, what say you?

@Slaphppy7 ...? Not familiar with your tanks and stocking yet; I think you joined while I was on forum break. Plants in sand? What kinds?
Yes, I personally believe that plants do better in sand than gravel or large stones.

I absolutely will NOT ignore the cory !
Is that a coryadorus pygmaeus or Sterbai (sp?)...or something else?
That’s a Julii. :wub:

Here is my 10g, 20g long, and my 29g just for comparison:
60B457F1-47DD-4931-9391-72CB09F625B2.jpeg
BC5CED1E-F017-4074-89B9-FC90E49734A2.jpeg3A39805C-5ACB-49E0-A7D2-E8B465E97C33.jpeg

(Excuse the pure messy ness - today is cleaning day!)

I wash mine good in a 5g bucket, and the I put it in the tank. After I do that, I fill the whole tank up with tap water, drain it, and then fill it up with de chlorinated water. If you don’t drain it the first time, it will be super cloudy.

Yes, I personally believe that plants do better in sand than gravel or large stones.

That’s a Julii. :wub:
Oh...rather fond of those when I researched cory cats 9 mos or so...

A few members were posting breeding success with images...last Holiday,,?:

mc

Oh...rather fond of those when I researched cory cats 9 mos or so...

A few members were posting breeding success with images...last Holiday,,?:

mc
I’m sorry, I don’t understand... maybe you forgot to upload an image? There’s a huge space in your post.

Pseudomugil furcatus come from around Popondetta in New Guinea.
Peacock gudgeons are also from New Guinea.

-----------------
Buy a couple of new flower pots and rinse them well, use them in the tank. If you know someone who has a kiln for firing clay items, you can make some.

-----------------
Iriatherina werneri (threadfin rainbows) are found in New Guinea and northern Australia and need the same temperature requirements as the P. furcatus.
White Cloud mountain minnows come from cold water but do ok in warm water.

-----------------
Empire gudgeons are easy to keep but the bright red ones you see in pictures are mature males in breeding condition and most of the time they don't look like that. Normally they are pale yellow brown with a bit of black in their fins. They aren't rare or endangered and rarely breed in aquariums. Don't waste your money on them. They also eat small fish.

Mogurnda mogurnda are commonly called purple spotted gudgeons.

-----------------
The rainbowfish expert in the video is Gary Lange. He collects rainbowfish from New Guinea, brings them back to America where he breeds them and distributes them to other people in the hobby. Gary and I don't get along, too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

@PheonixKingZ
Sorry, got called to an appt, then forgot!
I just wanted to say how much I admired that species Julii (sp?) when I was researching coryadora a while back. Superb choice ☆

@PheonixKingZ
Sorry, got called to an appt, then forgot!
I just wanted to say how much I admired that species Julii (sp?) when I was researching coryadora a while back. Superb choice ☆
Thank you! I also love them. I did have Panda Corys before getting all of my Julii’s, but they died very quickly, due to inbreeding.

(They are sometimes confused with Salt & Pepper Corys)

Thank you! I also love them. I did have Panda Corys before getting all of my Julii’s, but they died very quickly, due to inbreeding.

(They are sometimes confused with Salt & Pepper Corys)
I remember specifically liking the ones you picked, but couldn't accommodate several of them had I been able to find them.

I am on the lookout for coryadorus pygmaeus.
I like the other dwarf ones, too
Any wisdom fron you on dwarf cory?

I remember specifically liking the ones you picked, but couldn't accommodate several of them had I been able to find them.

I am on the lookout for coryadorus pygmaeus.
I like the other dwarf ones, too
Any wisdom fron you on dwarf cory?
I know just from what I’ve read online.

They need a minimum of 11 gallons and the tank needs to be heavily planted, with driftwood and sand.

As usual, they need a minimum of 6 or more in a group. More is always preferred.

You can read much more on the SF article: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-pygmaeus/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back