To sand or not to sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I just read that some of my fish, the Peacock gudgeons, prefer sand.
Any info about sand substrate would be helpful.

IMHO, sand > gravel substrate....gravel holds detritus, sand holds nutrients...gravel has to be deep-vacuumed, which can be a PITA...with sand, just swirl and siphon the surface of the bed

And you don't have to buy pricey "aquarium" sand, either

I use this in 2 of my tanks, around $6 for a 50# bag...inexpensive, inert, looks great, no pre-cleaning necessary, and grows plants just fine

I would go with play sand if I were you. (Same brand)

Pretty much the same stuff, except it’s a finer grain. :)

PFS I linked above, in my 29G, sorry for the poor quality, tried to show grain size...

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 159
I just read that some of my fish, the Peacock gudgeons, prefer sand.
Any info about sand substrate would be helpful.
I kept mine on fine gravel that was 2-3mm diameter. They were fine with it.

If you want to use sand, go for it but gravel works just as well for gudgeons.

IMHO, sand > gravel substrate....gravel holds detritus, sand holds nutrients...gravel has to be deep-vacuumed, which can be a PITA...with sand, just swirl and siphon the surface of the bed

And you don't have to buy pricey "aquarium" sand, either

I use this in 2 of my tanks, around $6 for a 50# bag...inexpensive, inert, looks great, no pre-cleaning necessary, and grows plants just fine

Sand holds nutrients? Please explain how so compared ro gravel.

Also, gravel versus sand for live plants.

@PheonixKingZ
@Slaphppy7

So same company, one is
play sand and one is pool filter sand, with play sand of a finer texture?

I've seen some nice black-ish aand on here, soes anyone know what that kind is?
Although I should see what they have in New Guinea in their normal environment.

@Colin_T
Was your gravel "Pet store aquarium gravel"? Fancy? Plain?
I didn't know you had Gudgeons? Peacock?

I like gravel as it allows water circulation, and that with plants they have an easy time to develop roots.

I like gravel as it allows water circulation, and that with plants they have an easy time to develop roots.
Those were my reasons for not going with sand. I was afraid of the "gas" pockets and didn't know how my lo-tech plants would do...

Those were my reasons for not going with sand. I was afraid of the "gas" pockets and didn't know how my lo-tech plants would do...
I really don't like sand in fresh water aquariums. Fine gravel is ok 3-4 mm in diameter

@Colin_T
Was your gravel "Pet store aquarium gravel"? Fancy? Plain?
I didn't know you had Gudgeons? Peacock?
Plain natural brown gravel that we bought from a company called Cook Industrial Minerals in Jandakot. We bought it from them and bagged it up at the shop to sell to customers.

There are a number of different gudgeons with the peacocks being the smallest. I had those and in different tanks I had Mogurnda mogurnda. They are mostly from Australia and New Guinea.

Gudgeons lay eggs in a cave (I used pvc pipe and half ceramic flower pots on their side) and the males usually look after the eggs.

Plain natural brown gravel that we bought from a company called Cook Industrial Minerals in Jandakot. We bought it from them and bagged it up at the shop to sell to customers.

There are a number of different gudgeons with the peacocks being the smallest. I had those and in different tanks I had Mogurnda mogurnda. They are mostly from Australia and New Guinea.

Gudgeons lay eggs in a cave (I used pvc pipe and half ceramic flower pots on their side) and the males usually look after the eggs.
Oooo, thanks @Colin_T !
I had PVC ready and sanded down smooth, but I like the idea of clay pots better. I've been planning for the group I have for a while. I wonder if regular clay pots are safe these days? I have several but all have plants or dirt from old plants inside.
I have Blue-eyed Forktail rainbows (6), which I am pretty sure came from a pretty specific area in Papua New Guinea-as I think they all do. I think the Gudgeons I have are from New Guinea, as well. I am putting them in the same tank. I was considering Threadfins for the tank but I think you pointed out a temperature issue. If so, and they are a good fit, I will put rhem with my WCMMs.
I was looking at Empire Gudgeons-only because they are neat-I think they are endangered.
There is a cool video of the Aquarium Co-op guy and he was interviewing a Rainbowfish expert (Lange?). It was great video with all sort of beautiful fish. He was making the distinction between the Australian and others.
Would you like the link?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back