To Salt Or Not To Salt?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

~heidi~

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
 I have been thinking about adding salt to my tropical tank and have a few questions about it. I have read that it can be beneficial for the fish and decrease the chance of my fish getting parasites but I have a bristlenose pleco and 2 yo yo loaches. Will they be OK if I add salt to the tank?

I have a 55 gallon that has been running for close to 6 years.  If I add salt, what dose would you recommend?  My box of aquarium salt recommends 1/2 teaspoon for every gallon.

Also, should I add  with every water change or is this something I should limit to once monthly or when a new fish is added to the tank?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Simple answer; don't add salt to freshwater aquariums, they don't need it.

I wouldn't unless they have ich, I know the bn is fine but I wouldn't risk it with the loaches.

Again, Salt would cause more issues than not having it.

OK, thank you much for the replies.
What about for my quarantine tank for new fish?
Do you think it would be a good idea to keep that salted? 

Thanx again for any help.

No, don't salt that either :)

Keep the salt, as it can be useful if your fish actually get sick; it can be a good medication for some things.

Exactly... Salt has its place.  Usually though, its in the cabinet, not in the tank.  Kept it on hand as it lasts forever and doesn't "expire", since its just a rock.

But, it should only be used for VERY specific things, not a general tonic for fish.  Its "freshwater" for a reason.  ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back