The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Need a few thoughts on this, its a Geophagus Surinimensis. Its in an LFS in the middle of nowhere near my parents house I used to go to it all the time a few years ago before I shut down my old tank. I went up the other day and believe it or not he has pretty much the exact same fish (think they sell mainly horse and dog stuff, but the owner knows his fish) still has the same big jag, the same big group of Egyptian mouth brooders and this huge catfish that was meant to be a glass cat but its something obscure I tried to ID it a while back but cant remember it.

Now along with all the previously mentioned fish (if you havent guessed by now) there was still the same Geo Surinimensis and a Geo Brasiliensis - fortunately the Brasiliensis had been sold to someone with a big tank and was just waiting to be picked up.

Now the G.Surinimensis is at least 2 years old and only 5/6 inches and in a 2 foot tank..... it must be stunted. I am 100% sure this is the same fish and the owner tells me it is and he genuinely does not have it in him to deceive me not because hes stupid just friendly known him for years as well.

So the question is...... Do I bring it home and give it a good life in my tank -

Fluval Roma 240
Fluval FX5 - Still stocking the tank but current residents are :-
1 Aequidens Diadema 1 Nicuraguan Cichlid (f)
3 Anostomus Ternetzi 2 Pim Pictus 1 L124 2 L135

So what do we think??
Wills

Yes, every fish deserves a good home. Don't know anything about geos but if you can care for it properly and it's compatible with your current fish, go ahead and rescue it. As you know the lfs owner and he's had it for years you will probably get it cheap too.

Its compatible with my stock but the tank is a little small for one however because this one is potentially stunted to a certain degree I'm not sure....

Heck yeah. You know I'm a sucker for a fish in need. Do it if you have the room or will make room I say bring it home. I'm really happy with my rescue fish he is healing up fast too. Now I really need to get a bigger tank.

Yes, go get him.

Lets face it, a 4ft tank is much better for it than a 2ft tank, if it is stunted, it will still grow, maybe not to full size, but in a larger tank it will grow.

Rescue it! its for the best.

Cool just rang up to double check :) and he is still there so will be back in about an hour or so with pics!!

Okay Im back :) pretty happy now
here he/she is :)

P1030342.jpg

they are about 4/5 inches almost same size as my A.Diadema so hopefully she wont confuse this tank mate as food.... :)

Yay, well done, looks in fairly good condition considering, sure she/he (cant tell) will fit in well. If not, you will just have to drive down to me and put it with my 4!! :p

lol :p Im down south/mid in febuary so maybe :p got a race day at Silverstone :lol:

Used to live couple of miles from Silverstone, Brackley, do you know it? Wish we were still there :(

Oh well done, I bet you are really pleased with him/her. Hope the fish settles in ok.

Things seem to be okay so far, they bottom sat for about an hour after release so I left the lights off and went out for a bit. Just got back and my A.Diadema seems to have kind of befriended them not sure how gooder friends they are as the acara takes the odd swipe at them. One of their pectoral fins is damaged and the eyes are a bit cloudy but Im treating the tank with melafix at the moment anyway due to my nic but seems pretty good so far :) rrrrr

Wills

great news! they are very nice fish and i have no reservations that he/she will become one of your favorite fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back