To Catch Or Not To Catch?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should catch some of my native shrimps in my area. We gt some streams nearby a church which has some multicolored shrimp! So in your opinion should I catch? Cuz if I do im gonna post some pics! On what I caught!

Check that it's legal, first and foremost.

However, I would definitely quarantine them, so they don't introduce any infections, pollution, etc., into your ornamental tanks.

We dont have laws like those in the Philippines! :) Yeah Im gonna quarantine them for a few weeks until my new nano tank arrives!

id love to see some pics once you get them 

That sounds very interesting, DerpPH; I'd love to see them too, as long as your sure it's not illegal!

One more point; if you ever catch anything from the wild (fish or shrimps, or anything else), you should keep it forever and never put it back, as it could pick up something from your tanks that could cause big trouble for your native creatures :)

Yeah Im planning a river nano biotope with a few native shrimp species! The government doesnt mind since thy are just in a suburban stream. Like the guppies I once caught.

Its quite possible that you will have some very interesting shrimp and ones with potential to become truly amazing shrimp.

As long as its not illegal then go for it, but also watch out for leeches on the shrimp. I have had wild shrimp with leeches in the past, but thankfully the shrimp where able to withstand a salt bath which removed and killed the leeches.,

Also try to identify the shrimp, just keep in mind that colour will not always determine what the shrimp is. I know many new shrimp species are being discovered so if possible keep accurate records of the water/ biolotypes that you collected the shrimp from. Even just water temp and Gh and will be useful for keeping and possibly breeding projects with any shrimp you do catch.

And I will be really interested in seeing what shrimp to you find too
yes.gif

I went to catch them earlier but it seemed they hid away upstream since it significantly rained the past few days. Gonna try my luck this saturday! Anyhoo maybe I might get a new species? Nobody in that area catches shrimp. Guppies are the ones people want there but there are also more fish there like snakehead and catfish! Ill keep updated on the weather and see if i can catch any!

Good luck with your hunt. While searching for shrimp also remember to check around any fallen timber/ logs/ branches for shrimp as well as even under rocks. If there is a current/ flow in the water with rocks place a net downstream of the flow behind a rock you want to lift, and lift the rock away from the net. That way anything under the rock is most likely going to swim straight into your waiting net.

Baccus said:
Good luck with your hunt. While searching for shrimp also remember to check around any fallen timber/ logs/ branches for shrimp as well as even under rocks. If there is a current/ flow in the water with rocks place a net downstream of the flow behind a rock you want to lift, and lift the rock away from the net. That way anything under the rock is most likely going to swim straight into your waiting net.
Thanks for the tips! Im gonna buy some supplies from my LFS

Not yet. The rainy season just started and the shrimps are provin more elusive than ever!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back