To Catch A Fish...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

d&a

Reaction score
:huh:

In one of my tanks, the 55 Malawi Mbuna tank, one of the fish is overly aggressive and stressing out my other fish and I've been wanting to return it back to the LFS where I bought it (free or not) or give it to my friend's tank, but I've always have trouble in capturing them in the net. Any tips or suggestions :/ ? I have alot of rock work/decor, so to swinging a net freely around isn't really possible due to the large amount of aquascaping, and I would prefer removing the rock/decor as a last resort.

Remove the decor, you have to - but even with all decor and plants removed, and two nets, it still took me 40 minutes to catch four jewel cichlids. Just letting you know what you are up against if malawis are the same.

i had the exact same problem.

you have to take all thr ocks out.

malawis kno straight away when your after them lol.

even days after they kno what you wanna do with them.
theres the baited jar technique? but slightly difficult with large numbers of fish in as you arnt likely to ge tthe one you want

:huh:

In one of my tanks, the 55 Malawi Mbuna tank, one of the fish is overly aggressive and stressing out my other fish and I've been wanting to return it back to the LFS where I bought it (free or not) or give it to my friend's tank, but I've always have trouble in capturing them in the net. Any tips or suggestions :/ ? I have alot of rock work/decor, so to swinging a net freely around isn't really possible due to the large amount of aquascaping, and I would prefer removing the rock/decor as a last resort.

I use a very large net. It makes things a lot easier, at least for me. I don't have tons of aquascaping. If I did, I'm sure removing it all would be necessary. I try to get the fish near the top of the tank, then just grab them with the large net.

I use a large cooking-type plastic or wooden spoon (for aquarium use only) to chase them into the net. Still can take a long time and require a lot of patience though.

Usher he/she to one end of the tank using some plexiglass then net it out.
Regards
BigC

:X ... I found this technique on the net...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fish_trap.php

...but that looks awfully troublesome and the end result...I wouldn't probably get the WANTED one :crazy: ...

...I guess I will have to remove most of the rock work/decor. The thing I'm afraid of is stressing them out and causing them to fear me...thats what happen to my FW community tank, when I removed my Zebra Danios to another tank...( :crazy: GOD...they are HARD to catch). I tried to net capture it...no luck...removed the plants/rocks/decor...STILL no luck...drained to 75% full... :crazy: NO LUCK...drained to 50% full...WTF are they SPEED demons or something...drain to 25%... :X FiNaLLy! ... end result stressing the other fish and causing them to fear me for quite a while.

...I'm going to try to get 2 oversized nets to attempt this I guess.

i use a small net to keep them away from the decor and then net them with a big net once you get them to the side of the tank

For a very stubborn betta in a 20 gallon, I use my fingers to herd him into a clear cup.

Fingers = food, so not a bad thing to be afraid of, and a clear cup means that he can't see it all that well. I can usually get him in a matter of seconds.

Eep! Good luck! I just about drowned myself trying to fish 3 insane danios out of a 45 gallon set up. I had originally set up a 45 gallon tall tank in my third floor apartment, cycled, decorated, got it set to go and added the danios. Then I got smacked with a harsh dose of reality from my landlord when he told me I had to take it down due to weight and water damage concerns.. Bleh! I tried everything to get these guys. A plastic cup, two nets, a flexible cutting board to try to "rope" off areas.. Nothing - all while standing on a chair in my dining room. I swear these fish have secret morphing abilities, they'd be on the left side of the tank then POOF, on the right side. Finally, I drained the tank to super low, used the cutting board thing again, and caught them. I must have lost 5 pounds by the end.

how about, feed it food and then catch it, or once it chases another fish get it, just make sure its distracted and turns right into the net

two nets.. or simply corner them and let them swim into the net on their own will..

or do what i do, get your net caught on decorations and spend 20 mins cursing at the cory that has herself prppped behind a rock. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back