Tmc V2 120 Skimmer Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dannywrc

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
does anyone have one of these? cant seem to get the bubbles to come over the chamber in the cup. can get them almost to the top and thats it. doesnt seem to be putting many micro bubbles out either.

whats bedding in?

cheers

Is it a new skimmer or has it been running for some time? I had a similar problem with a tmc v2 skimmer. I was running fine, then one day it stopped making micro bubbles, just big ones. I tried various ways of cleaning it, cleaning the pump, venturi ect and couldnt get anything out of it so in the end had to get a new one.

josh

Is it a new skimmer or has it been running for some time? I had a similar problem with a tmc v2 skimmer. I was running fine, then one day it stopped making micro bubbles, just big ones. I tried various ways of cleaning it, cleaning the pump, venturi ect and couldnt get anything out of it so in the end had to get a new one.

josh

i bought it used, maybe not such a good idea. the bloke said its working fine just upgraded to a bigger tank so needed another.

i have the v2 skim 400 and these skimmers are pita to get right :good: but mine seems to be fine now. but it could be the water level?

i have the v2 skim 400 and these skimmers are pita to get right :good: but mine seems to be fine now. but it could be the water level?

stripped the skimmer down and give everything a good clean. the small internal pipe from the air intake to the bubble chamber wasnt looking too good so i replaced it. put the thing back together and glued an airline to the air intake which has stopped the gurgling and also seems to have increased the amount of bubbles the skimmer is producing. seems to be working spot on now. :D oh and the clips on the bottom of the skimmer had snapped off.. something the seller neglected to mention :grr:

I have one of these skimmers too. As noted they can be a pita but with a bit of DIY they work pretty well.

I did pretty much exactly the same as you, took it apart, removed the airline and drilled out the nipple on the shell that the airline goes to. I then put a new bit of longer airline going from outside the shell to the pump with a valve on the end. This makes it a lot quieter and is easier to under

I drilled a drainage hole in the collection cup with another airline attached to that with a valve at the end (as it fills up quickly this makes emptying it a lot easier).

Last when I put it back together I put a smear of silicone around the join to completely seal it as a lot of micro bubbles where come out from here.

After all that it works pretty well :)

I have one of these skimmers too. As noted they can be a pita but with a bit of DIY they work pretty well.

I did pretty much exactly the same as you, took it apart, removed the airline and drilled out the nipple on the shell that the airline goes to. I then put a new bit of longer airline going from outside the shell to the pump with a valve on the end. This makes it a lot quieter and is easier to under

I drilled a drainage hole in the collection cup with another airline attached to that with a valve at the end (as it fills up quickly this makes emptying it a lot easier).

Last when I put it back together I put a smear of silicone around the join to completely seal it as a lot of micro bubbles where come out from here.

After all that it works pretty well :)

ill have to look at modding the cup. you got a pic?

i never siliconed the unit together incase in needed to take it apart again

Haven't got a pic Im afraid and as we just moved house the nano skimmer is still boxed up (somewhere..)

Basically I cut the "barb" bit off the outside of the shell and left a bit of plastic at one end (where the air comes in and where I put the new airline). Then drilled a small hole through the bottom of the collection cup, put the "barb" through from the inside (the bit of plastic at the end stops it going all the way through, it is VERY fiddly to do though) and attached an airline to it.

If you only put a small smear of silicone around the join it is very easy to break the seal on it again for cleaning. to be honest I have never found that this skimmer needs the internals cleaned that often so having to reseal it again maybe every 6 months wasn't a big deal for me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back