Tl550 Back Slats?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

m00nz00mer

Reaction score
Hey,

So i bought a Boyo - tl 550 at the weekend and looking around it appears that some of the same model have more slats on the back leading into chamber 1. I dont have them on mine, only at the very top. Could this be a problem for water flow? Is it possible to buy or mod this one?

Anyone noticed this?

Cheers

James

This image shoes a tank with multiple slats at the back.

gallery_1553_35_9071.jpg

Sorry this went unanswered for so long.

Slots only at the top is the more common scenario for pulling water out of the main display of a marine tank to have it run through some number of other devices and eventually return. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of this particular type of tank, but usually the point of those slots is to let gravity pull the water over and strain the surface, with the water being piped back into the main display somewhere else. This is common for tanks with overflows for sumps but also for sump-less tanks with partitions for skimmers and such. In a sumped tank, if flow gets cut somehow and the return pump isn't doing its job, the tank only drains down to the limit allowed by that top strainer. Since these are all-in-one, perhaps it doesn't matter since the tank can't drain in the same way, so extra slots become an option. Anyway, I would think slots at the top or all across like that would function very similarly, so I'm sure yours will be fine and I would imagine that top-only slots would accomplish more effective surface straining.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back