Tips on stocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blueseas

Reaction score
So, I've just bought a 10 g and i was wondering what people think of my idea of having one male half moon betta and then introducing around 7 neon tetras a little later on or even at the same time? my tank has been cycling for about a month and my filter has been running. i have a heater too (100w) sitting in there. currently my tank has only artificial plants & decorations but I have taken out any sharp objects that i thought would rip a betta's fins and i plan to have a planted tank when I'm more experienced. Also im 15 years old (as of today aha) and this is my first tank. one last thing is i wanted to know what would be the best way of feeding both bettas and the tetras? i was thinking of getting flakes and frozen blood-worms or brine-shrimp for a varied diet. anyhow, if you have any better stocking ideas (i like 'cool' colors but i mainly want a tank that is interesting to watch) i'd love to hear.

Welcome to TFF, and a Happy Birthday to you. :bday:

Male bettas are not good community fish. They are best in their own aquarium, and a 10 gallon tank would be fine. But only for the Betta.

There are two issues. First, male bettas are feisty, some downright aggressive, and they will often eat small fish. Bright colours seem to inflame them even more. The other issue is that small shoaling fish like tetras will often turn to fin nipping when placed in close confines with a Betta. It is better to either decide on a single betta, or forget the betta.

A group of neons could work, though there is not much space in a 10 gallon tank and they do grow. But before we suggest fish, it would help to know the parameters of your tap water. GH (general or total hardness) is especially important, and then the pH. These you may be able to ascertain from the website of your city water authority. Small fish suitable for this size tank will often be wild caught, and more attention needs to be given to their water preferences.

One of the three dwarf corydoras species
(C. pygmaeus, C. habrosus, or C. hastatus)
Would be a good match for a betta, I think, but I am not sure if there would be room for them alongside the betta in a ten gallon.
You would definitely be fully stocked if there was room.

Male bettas are not good community fish. They are best in their own aquarium, and a 10 gallon tank would be fine. But only for the Betta.

There are two issues. First, male bettas are feisty, some downright aggressive, and they will often eat small fish. Bright colours seem to inflame them even more. The other issue is that small shoaling fish like tetras will often turn to fin nipping when placed in close confines with a Betta. It is better to either decide on a single betta, or forget the betta.

A group of neons could work, though there is not much space in a 10 gallon tank and they do grow. But before we suggest fish, it would help to know the parameters of your tap water. GH (general or total hardness) is especially important, and then the pH. These you may be able to ascertain from the website of your city water authority. Small fish suitable for this size tank will often be wild caught, and more attention needs to be given to their water preferences.

Hey, thankyou for the birthday wishes :) and sorry for the late reply, school has been stressful haha. I'm going to get just a single betta for my 10g. im actually going out now to get some frozen blood worms in preparation for his arrival. Oh also, i tested my water this morning and im on about 7.0 pH and i'm also buying another water tester today that will give me my water hardness. Thanks for the info, my local fish store owner tends to tell me anything to buy more fish haha.

One of the three dwarf corydoras species
(C. pygmaeus, C. habrosus, or C. hastatus)
Would be a good match for a betta, I think, but I am not sure if there would be room for them alongside the betta in a ten gallon.
You would definitely be fully stocked if there was room.

Thanks for the suggestion, i've decided to get a single male betta in my 10g until im more experienced, but ill look into these when/if im ready to get him some tankmates :)

I would just keep a betta on its own, or perhaps with a snail for company. I have a nerite snail in with my betta.

Can I ask, you say "my tank has been cycling for about a month" - how have you been doing this? Have you just let the filter run, or have you added ammonia? If you've just let it run, the tank is not cycled. http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have decided to get a single betta in my tank. i am actually going to buy ammonia today haha funny you asked.

So, I've just bought a 10 g and i was wondering what people think of my idea of having one male half moon betta and then introducing around 7 neon tetras a little later on or even at the same time? my tank has been cycling for about a month and my filter has been running. i have a heater too (100w) sitting in there. currently my tank has only artificial plants & decorations but I have taken out any sharp objects that i thought would rip a betta's fins and i plan to have a planted tank when I'm more experienced. Also im 15 years old (as of today aha) and this is my first tank. one last thing is i wanted to know what would be the best way of feeding both bettas and the tetras? i was thinking of getting flakes and frozen blood-worms or brine-shrimp for a varied diet. anyhow, if you have any better stocking ideas (i like 'cool' colors but i mainly want a tank that is interesting to watch) i'd love to hear.
If your set on a Betta, id just get a snail with it. Otherwise, I like neon green rasboras and the Pygmy Corydoras, because the neons only grown to about half and inch I think you could have around 8-10 mabye and a nice school of 6 Pygmy Cory’s would be quite cool. I wish I got Pygmys in my 65 because I feel sorry for my 2 lonely Cory’s lmao

Re the bloodworms, this should be only a "treat" fed once a week; bloodworms are not a good regular diet. I'm sure there are Betta-specific prepared foods that the Betta members can suggest. But in general, brands like New Life Spectrum and Omega One are good as they do not contain grain/cereal "fillers."

Re the bloodworms, this should be only a "treat" fed once a week; bloodworms are not a good regular diet. I'm sure there are Betta-specific prepared foods that the Betta members can suggest. But in general, brands like New Life Spectrum and Omega One are good as they do not contain grain/cereal "fillers."
True, forgot about that fish don’t digest them very well. My mistake

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back