Tips for softening hard water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

parula6

Reaction score
I'm on a well that's drilled into the limestone that underlies my part of the world. Consequently the water tastes terrific but has ample minerals. My dip-stick hardness test shows upwards of 120 ppm, which is fairly hard. Although I've read about how many tropical fish like soft water, I've yet to read techniques to get my hard water soft.

My tank is 44 gal US and hosts tetras, bettas, clown loaches, one Aphyosemion and a mixed pack of corydoras.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I've seen water softener tablets in the fish section of pet stores.

While 120ppm is high, IMO it is not so high as to risk adjusting it!!!

Mine is 160ppm out of the tap and I don't mess with it at all!! I know, your going to say "but you keep cichlids" which is correct.

I also keep a 120 gallon tank that houses 13 clown loaches, Australian rainbows, several cories and 3 recently aquired red hook silver dollars.

No problems at all in this tank.

I would leave the hardness be as it should be fine for the fish you have!!

CM

I agree with CM if it aint broke dont try to fix it,start messing with your waters chemistry and you could cause yourself a whole bunch of problems.

I agree that you don't really want to start messing with your water chemistry. 120 ppm is only moderately hard. I would just leave it alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back