Tips for Changing Substrate in Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Valkyrie_Lips

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to switch to a darker substrate and I came across this in my research: "Because changing gravel can be invasive, it's advisable to move the fish into a temporary holding tank. If you don't have a spare tank, purchase a 10-gallon tank. It only costs about $10 and can be used as a hospital or quarantine tank later". I would so love a 10 gal for $10 dang.

For real though any tips? My tank has been cycled for only a few weeks now and I don't want to disrupt anything. This is more of a want than a need thing so I'm more than ok with waiting.

I have changed the substrate, or torn down and re-set tanks, many times. I would always advise removing the fish to a temporary tank. This is considerably less stress over the duration. And with the fish in an operating temporary tank you can leave them there for a day, overnight, or longer; this means you do not have to rush through the job.

The filter and heater can be simply moved into the temporary tank. Moving in some of the decor and plants is also needed. Once the new substrate is washed and in the changed tank, decor and plants can be replaced. Use dechlorinator for the fresh water to preserve various bacteria on these surfaces. Do not clean the filter but return it as is. Use all fresh water for the tank, there is absolutely no benefit or value in using old water here, always assuming the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are reasonably similar.

I have changed the substrate, or torn down and re-set tanks, many times. I would always advise removing the fish to a temporary tank. This is considerably less stress over the duration. And with the fish in an operating temporary tank you can leave them there for a day, overnight, or longer; this means you do not have to rush through the job.

The filter and heater can be simply moved into the temporary tank. Moving in some of the decor and plants is also needed. Once the new substrate is washed and in the changed tank, decor and plants can be replaced. Use dechlorinator for the fresh water to preserve various bacteria on these surfaces. Do not clean the filter but return it as is. Use all fresh water for the tank, there is absolutely no benefit or value in using old water here, always assuming the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are reasonably similar.

Thank you this was very helpful. I have a 5 gallon for him right now, would a 3.5 gal be an okay holding tank?

Side note, I strongly agree with both quotes in your signature.

Most reactions

Back