Tips For Catching Danios

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LeeAberdeen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had six zebra danios in my tank to cycle it before getting my discus, which I put in the tank three days ago. Only thing is, I could only catch four of the danios, so there's two in there haring around like nutters in a tank that's too warm for them. The discus don't seem bothered by them at all, but I really want them out. Any time I go near the tank with a net, though, they're hiding in places where it's impossible to catch them.

Any danio-catching tips, anyone?

Ugh, danios are notoriously hard to catch :p

Use a big net. Feed them, but while holding the net motionless in the tank. Wait for them to swim over it. Then flick it up quickly.
This always works for me :)

Patience, and not chasing them (unless you have two nets; one held still and the other to 'herd') is the key.

Wait until night time after it's dark for about an hour go to the tank they usually sleep at the surface then just net them.

Try making a bottle-trap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPuCjKQ_qk 

PrincessKiara said:
Ugh, danios are notoriously hard to catch
tongue2.gif

Use a big net. Feed them, but while holding the net motionless in the tank. Wait for them to swim over it. Then flick it up quickly.
This always works for me
smile.png
Thanks, tried that though. They're not only lightning fast, they're also quite clever and way too savvy for that. Any time they see the blue of the net, they dive down...

You might have to put the net in the tank and wait for a while.

RRaquariums said:
Wait until night time after it's dark for about an hour go to the tank they usually sleep at the surface then just net them.
Hmm, that's got to be worth a go. Have noticed them sleeping at the top. Just hope my removing the top of the tank doesn't wake them.
fluttermoth said:
Patience, and not chasing them (unless you have two nets; one held still and the other to 'herd') is the key.
They're so quick, though, it's impossible not to chase them. They never stay in the same place long enough. They're even worse now because they're slightly spooked by the discus and the fact there's now only two of them.
Alm0stAwesome said:
Try making a bottle-trap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPuCjKQ_qk 
Thanks. Think I'll give that a try.

Blast to the past. Trying to catch fish  Fetched memories back. LOL
I find it easier if you striped the tank down. It's a pain but was a lot easier to catch certain fish that are
fast swimmers and hard to catch. 

Of course it's possible to not to chase them! Just keep your net still!

i had this problem with siamese algae eaters ughhhh everything was out of my tank to catch them 3 hours it took my problem there was the bag they were going in when i caught one it was full of danios

Another trick that worked for me was when I happened to have a piece of perspex that was the same width (front to back) as my tank. I used it to basically reduce the size of my tank by trapping the fish into the smaller area and sink the perspex down into the substrate so it stays put on it's own. Lower your water level so there's less vertical swimming space and they can't swim over the top of the barrier. I was able to catch them very easily this way. I did displace a few plants but it was better than stripping the tank!

Which reminds me, I don't have a tool like this since I got a bigger tank, I should maybe get a bit cut to size!

To catch my danios I literally had to strip the tank bare. Those little suckers are fast!

Alm0stAwesome said:
Another trick that worked for me was when I happened to have a piece of perspex that was the same width (front to back) as my tank. I used it to basically reduce the size of my tank by trapping the fish into the smaller area and sink the perspex down into the substrate so it stays put on it's own. Lower your water level so there's less vertical swimming space and they can't swim over the top of the barrier. I was able to catch them very easily this way. I did displace a few plants but it was better than stripping the tank!

Which reminds me, I don't have a tool like this since I got a bigger tank, I should maybe get a bit cut to size!
This is what I do to catch fast fish. Drop your water level and use a divider or an improvised barrier to corner them....it'll make netting them a lot easier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back