Tips About Gar Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GarKeeper77

Reaction score
I have two gar fish on 6" and the other 13" i love my pet gar because its my favorite fish and since i have them id just like to know some fun facts about taking care of them and before anyone says anything no there not illegal.Only in the stae of california are they illegal no were else. but anyway im curious to know a litte more about them one is an alligator gar and the other a spotted florida gar thanks. Jarrett.

Gar are great aquarium fish if you have a couple hundred gallons to spare. I kept some sort of Lepisosteus (possibly Lepisosteus platostomus) in a 200-gallon tank when I was at university, and it got along great with assorted Central American cichlids. Easiest fish in the world to maintain given space, very peaceful, and because they're as much opportunists as predators, they take all sorts of non-live foods. Mine enjoyed Hikari Cichlid Gold as a staple, but also had regular offerings of seafood and oily fish (it loved mackerel).

As ever with predators, you shouldn't ever use store-bought live foods, and even if you happen to breed your own goldfish and minnows, these would be a minor part of their diet because of their fat and thiaminase content. Health issues are crucial here because gar react badly to some medications, so only a lunatic would use store-bought feeders because of the tremendous risk of introducing parasites. In the UK this is a non-issue because feeder fish just aren't part of the fishkeeping culture anymore, and hasn't been since the 80s, but since you're in the US, I mention this because some retailers might tell you live feeders are important with this species, and the US freshwater fish hobby (and trade) seems decades behind the Europeans when it comes to understanding the risks of live feeder fish.

In any event, among the fun facts about gar are these:

• Several species inhabit brackish water, and one or two, including Atractosteus spatula are occasionally found in the sea!
  • The biggest species, Atractosteus spatula, has been reported to get to 300 cm (about 9 ft) in length; this is the "alligator gar", which you report is one of your specimens, and given even aquarium specimens get to about 200 cm/45 kg (about 6 ft/100 lb) these are not viable aquarium fish.
  • Apart from fish, gar feed on all sorts of prey from insect larvae through to blue crabs, turtles, even water birds.
  • They are obligate air-breathers and will drown if they don't have access to air. Periodically your gar will gulp air, which it passes to its vascularised swim bladder, a structure that is "midway" between the primitive state for bony fish (a lung) and the advanced state (a swim bladder).
  • Hybrids are widely produced on fish farms, as are oddball colour varieties, including a rare "golden" (xanthic) Florida gar.
  • Their jaws are narrow so that they can side-swipe with minimal water resistance, and thereby catch prey that swims too close. Their teeth point backwards so that prey cannot escape.
  • Because they're so well armoured, gar have relatively few predators once they reach adult size, especially the biggest species like Atractosteus spatula, which probably only fall prey to alligators and humans.

Cheers, Neale

I have two gar fish on 6" and the other 13" i love my pet gar because its my favorite fish and since i have them id just like to know some fun facts about taking care of them and before anyone says anything no there not illegal.Only in the stae of california are they illegal no were else. but anyway im curious to know a litte more about them one is an alligator gar and the other a spotted florida gar thanks. Jarrett.

Thanks Neale :) those are some interesting facts and i think im going to take what you said about live feeder and how they can give my fish paresites into consideration and that is the last thing i want. I have been feeding him small feeders,Krill,Gold fish and cray fish but im going to look into healthier foods.Could you give me some ideas of different food that might be sold in the fish store. thanks

Weaning them onto alternative foods isn't difficult. The main thing is to "wiggle" the food enticingly. You can use thread for this (basically tie some food to thread, then dangle in water current) but I prefer to use forceps because it offers more control (and fun!). Some people do hand-feed their gar, and you can see this on YouTube for example, but I recommend strongly against this because of the danger of accidental bites -- gar have very sharp teeth, a fish bites can become infected very easily. Anyway, use the forceps to wiggle some food near the gar's head. Don't go too close, because that's liable to seem threatening, but stay a couple of inches away, so the gar has to creep into range. Although they aren't true gar, my current "mini" gar, Ctenolucius hujeta, were weaned onto dead foods exactly one day after purchase using this method.

As for foods, the main issues are thiaminase and fat. Cyprinids (goldfish, minnows, carp, etc) are rich in thiaminase and fat, so shouldn't be used at all. In the past we often assumed these foods were fine because predatory fish ate them in the wild. What we now realise is that many predatory fish in the wild suffer serious health problems if they only eat these fish, and some years this can cause things like reduced fertility. In any case, gar wouldn't be taking just minnows, but also thiaminase-free prey (such as livebearers or killifish) that would offset the thiaminase, and they'd be unlikely to eat enough of anything for fat to become an issue (most wild animals are just about avoiding starvation). In aquarium we turn this on its heads by offering mostly one food (e.g., goldfish) and then offering it very frequently, so the gar gets fat. By "fat" I don't mean weight, but the fat that builds up around the internal organs. Actually, we don't normally dissect dead gar, so I'm extrapolating here from what we know about other predatory fish that have been fed fat-rich diets.

Crustaceans such as shrimps and prawns contain thiaminase but not much fat, so they're safer if used in moderation. Most gar go wild for these, perhaps because they're a natural part of their diet. In the UK they are about the only widely used large feeder animal offered to aquarists. Live shrimp are easy to gut-load with algae flake food, and the vitamin B1 (thiamin) in the algae will offset the thiaminase.

Earthworms are the ideal live food if you're using the forceps method. They're meaty, gut-loaded out of the box because they eat mud and plants, and fish love them. You can cultivate these at home easily using kits designed for gardeners; otherwise, dig your own or buy from a fishing tackle outlet.

On the non-live front, try anything you want! Settled gar will take almost anything meaty, but start off with lancefish (small whole fish sold for predator fish) and jumbo krill. Mussels are enjoyed, but contain thiaminase, so should be used sparingly. Cockles on the other hand are thiaminase-free. I fed my gar on stuff mostly from the grocery store; strips of squid, tilapia and mackerel offering a good balance of flavours and nutrients. Mackerel and other oily fish like salmon have a strong smell that elicits a good response, but they're oily and play havoc with water quality unless you have a really big filter and masses of aeration. I used them just before a water change so it was easy to remove any uneaten remnants and to siphon away the oily film.

Each time you feed, offer up some Hikari Cichlid Gold or some other premium pellet food. Before long the gar will snap at these along with the other food items you're offering, and eventually he'll take them as soon as they're offered without any coaxing. That's the mark of the skilled aquarist -- getting a predator weaned onto a balanced, safe pellet food that you KNOW will provide 100% of the nutrients your fish needs to enjoy a good life. By all means offer fresh or live treats alongside the pellets, but I like to use pellets as the staple so I know my fish is in perfect health. I use the frozen food for fun, and for when I want to show off to any visitors how tame my predatory fish has become!

Cheers, Neale

Thanks Neale :) those are some interesting facts and i think im going to take what you said about live feeder and how they can give my fish paresites into consideration and that is the last thing i want. I have been feeding him small feeders,Krill,Gold fish and cray fish but im going to look into healthier foods.Could you give me some ideas of different food that might be sold in the fish store. thanks

I also have a Ctenolucius hujeta. It's a freshwater barracuda. I have read. I feed it guppys that I raise I love it he/she is such a wonderful fish

It'c called the freshwater "barracuda" but it is nowhere near barracuda on the family tree of fish! It's a kind of characin, so related to things like tetras.

There's no need to feed them live food. I think it's actually more fun to hand-tame them, so you can feed them bits of fish and squid (which they love). Mine also enjoy Hikari Cichlid Gold, but it did take a while for them to go for those.

Cheers, Neale

I also have a Ctenolucius hujeta. It's a freshwater barracuda. I have read. I feed it guppys that I raise I love it he/she is such a wonderful fish

So it's not a barracuda?!,! And do they lIke areas with lots of vegetation??? Cause mine hangs out by the surface

My 1 ft long gar survived 6 weeks without food and without water change in a half filled 15 gallon tank. I was bedridden then. I'd say gars seem really really tough fishes

Most reactions

trending

Back