Tiny white bugs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

charlitfc

Reaction score
Hi there,
My 25l tank is relatively new (about 3 months old) and I just have a betta in there with some java moss, driftwood, anubias and elodea (which isnā€™t doing so well so any tips on that would be great too). Today I found these tiny white critters darting around the surface of my tank. Iā€™ve attached a photo of one I managed to catch, sorry in advance for the quality. They donā€™t seem to be affecting my water at all (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10). Iā€™m just wondering if theyā€™re harmful and how to remove them if they are.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
If I'm thinking good, they might be seed shrimp. They are harmless and any small fry, maybe guppies, will eat them.

I cannot see anything in the photo, but doesn't matter. If these sort of hop about on the floating plants, they are harmless. I used to get them in my tanks and they were there for weeks/months. Some fish will eat them it is said, but mine never seemed all that interrested. They just disappeared a while back, I'd forgotten all about them until this post.

I cannot see anything in the photo, but doesn't matter. If these sort of hop about on the floating plants, they are harmless. I used to get them in my tanks and they were there for weeks/months. Some fish will eat them it is said, but mine never seemed all that interrested. They just disappeared a while back, I'd forgotten all about them until this post.
They're seed shrimp right? That's all I think from OP's description..

They're seed shrimp right? That's all I think from OP's description..

I had to look seed shrimp up because I have not heard of the name before, but if the info is correct that they live at the bottom of ponds and pools, not the surface above water, they are likely something different.

Just tried to find some info and came across springtails as the common name for the tiny bugs, I think that was the name I couldn't remember.

They are probably eating any excess food on the bottom of the tank, do a good vacuuming and water change and cut back some on the fish food at feeding time. :fish:I have scuds in my shrimp tank but they are more clear not white.

They are probably eating any excess food on the bottom of the tank, do a good vacuuming and water change and cut back some on the fish food at feeding time. :fish:I have scuds in my shrimp tank but they are more clear not white.
Do you have pictures of the scuds? I have saltwater scuds :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back