Tiny Brown Snail???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bnowlin02

Reaction score
Hi there! I have had a 3 1/2 gallon tank and a betta for about 4 months now. Just last month I switched out his fake plants with real ones, and also brought a new inca snail as a new addition to the tank to help keep things looking nice.

Just tonight, I noticed this tiny little brown snail moving around on my substrate. I was kind of surprised and thought I would turn to you guys for help identifying him and what (if anything) I need to do.

I attached some photos aswell.

Attachments

• 3BBFE12A-5A4B-45D7-9693-CE23A986E239.jpeg
    3BBFE12A-5A4B-45D7-9693-CE23A986E239.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 977BAC33-2BCB-4D6A-ADC6-1A956823E3F0.jpeg
    977BAC33-2BCB-4D6A-ADC6-1A956823E3F0.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 82
Yep, cute little bladder snail. Harmless, some refer to them as pest snails, since they tend to hitchhike in on plants (sounds like that's where yours came from too), and if the tank is overfed or not cleaned much, the population can explode and then too many snails everywhere, but that's actually a useful sign that you're over feeding or not cleaning enough, so they can be a useful barometer for that. They don't do any harm, so don't stress or feel like you have to get rid of them, they'll just zoom about nomming algae and leftover fish food, they're actually a helpful part of an aquarium ecosystem.

If you don't want them, then take it out now since they can reproduce from a single individual, and look for others. They lay eggs in a clear jelly sack, so don't be alarmed when you see those, you can remove the sack to reduce the numbers from getting too high as well, but they lay lots of them often of leaves, so chances of finding them all are slim unless you remove all the adults now. But again, don't feel like you have to, I quite enjoy having some bladder snails as part of the clean up crew!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back