Tiger lotus question (need answers before I buy)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It is a delicate balancing act, providing suitable light for plants without blinding the poor fish. My tanks were always fish come first, and plants that managed were kept.

I would place the tubers of this plant apart from each other, remembering that they send up floating leaves and you do not want all of these in one spot. I had two tubers initially, one on the right side and one just left of centre. Each tuber should get a tab, replaced every 3-4 months.

Yes, but only the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. And regardless of what anyone says, do not add iron aside from what is in the FC and the FT. Twice I dosed iron in addition, and it was too much and the floating leaves on these plants began to rot. So did the floating Ceratopteris. Over a period of 14 months this happened twice, so I know it was the iron as nothing else changed. Iron rotted the leaves, stopping the iron and the new leaves were fine. Did the experiment twice.
Thank you so much for all the info! Yes, I will definitely make sure I get the comprehensive supplement!

What happens though if you place one near something like Vallisneria? I was thinking I'd have 3 vals near the middle with one tiger lotus along with it... (spaced but close if that makes any sense)...

What happens though if you place one near something like Vallisneria? I was thinking I'd have 3 vals near the middle with one tiger lotus along with it... (spaced but close if that makes any sense)...

This plant will send up floating leaves, and produce leaves from the base provided the light is bright enough. In my case, I wanted the floaters, and the moderate light caused the plant to provide these. At one point I do not think there were lower leaves at all. So it depends how you grow it whether adjoining plants will or won't work. These photos are not the best, but you can see the tangle of floating leaves and stems, and that was what I wanted in this tank with the fish species.

Attachments

• 90g Aug 23-13.JPG
    90g Aug 23-13.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 90g Sep 15-15.JPG
    90g Sep 15-15.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 20
This plant will send up floating leaves, and produce leaves from the base provided the light is bright enough. In my case, I wanted the floaters, and the moderate light caused the plant to provide these. At one point I do not think there were lower leaves at all. So it depends how you grow it whether adjoining plants will or won't work. These photos are not the best, but you can see the tangle of floating leaves and stems, and that was what I wanted in this tank with the fish species.
Oh ok... So it should work out then!

I tore down a 20 gallon tall tank with a tiger lotus that started from one large bulb. Ended up with 8 more bulbs in my substrate!

Water lilies and lotus don't like water on their floating leaves, so try to avoid having water splashing near the floating leaves. The floating leaves also do best when they are exposed to air and not under coverglass. They sometimes do ok under coverglass but if they rot then it's usually too humid/ wet for their floating leaves.

Water lilies and lotus don't like water on their floating leaves, so try to avoid having water splashing near the floating leaves. The floating leaves also do best when they are exposed to air and not under coverglass. They sometimes do ok under coverglass but if they rot then it's usually too humid/ wet for their floating leaves.
I will have a lid on the tank... But I don't plan on having the tiger lotus reaching the top. I will probably keep two trimmed into a bush while I let one other only grow to a certain point vertically so it doesn't have a floating leaf

Yeah you don't want to bury them.
Just sit them on the substrate or bury them halfway. Any more, and they will rot.

IIRC they are placed on the substrate not buried completely under it.
Oops, sorry for the confusion. I was talking about root tabs there. I know not to bury the tiger lotus. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back