Tiger lotus? New plants questions and identification

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I bought new plants and I would like to know if it's normal for what I think is a tiger lotus to have roots without a bulb? Also I have what I beleive is rotala rotundufolia but I would like if someone could confirm.

Attachments

• 20200521_185949.jpg
    20200521_185949.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 20200521_185947.jpg
    20200521_185947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • 20200521_190214.jpg
    20200521_190214.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • 20200521_190205.jpg
    20200521_190205.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
The stem plant I believe is Alternanthera reineckii.

The other seems to be Nymphaea lotus, morelikely the green variety. It should have a bulb, but plant it in the substrate and weight it down with small rounded pebbles/rock so it can root, and hope for the best. I have had this plant grow without the bulb. A substrate tab does improve this plant.

The stem plant I believe is Alternanthera reineckii.

The other seems to be Nymphaea lotus, morelikely the green variety. It should have a bulb, but plant it in the substrate and weight it down with small rounded pebbles/rock so it can root, and hope for the best. I have had this plant grow without the bulb. A substrate tab does improve this plant.
Ok thank you!

the leaves look much smaller than on the stem plant you mentionned I think. Is it because it's in it's emersed form? Also will the tiger lotus have a bit of red even if it is the green variety?

the leaves look much smaller than on the stem plant you mentionned I think. Is it because it's in it's emersed form? Also will the tiger lotus have a bit of red even if it is the green variety?

The green lotus does have reddish/brownish blotches or speckles. The red variety (var. rubra) is more uniformly red.

I won't insist on the stem plant, they are not my forte by any means, but there are photos of narrow-leaf forms. And light differences can cause different leaf forms. This plant occurs as a marsh plant on river banks and the edges of ponds and submersed in flooded areas, native to South America.

It looks like a lotus to me but green variety.... I have a red one in my tank very pretty plant. Tip if you want it to grow bushier cut off the leaves that trying to get to the surface of the water but if you want a water lily effect just let those leaves go to surface. Right now mine probably bewildereddue to the sun that comes into the window and shines on it ....and of course duck weed took over of the surface.....
15913558299278707076898991682877.jpg

Tiger Lotus are not slam dunk easy. I got one that's been so hard to get going. Its even changed color being originally purple with some trace metallic green,and a year later,it went red..just like the one in the photo.
It's also refused to grow large...staying quite small. Iron seems very important to it..but,let that slip and it just stops growing. My local water must have zero iron.
I need to try a second Tiger Lotus to see if its the conditions,or the plant. Only,I see may Lillys being passed off as Tiger Lotus on the internet. I have a Nymphaea rubra that the seller posted as having red leaves and of course they are brown! large,but brown. Maybe the bloom will be red.

16036449326723917597029540423319.jpg
mine doing ehh.... it's not dying or thriving still has some red in leaves I do use flourish though

Most reactions

trending

Back