Tiger Barbs Agression

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

interpet123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have absolutely no knowledge on tiger barbs and i was wondering whether they are generally very aggressive fish. (would be put with discus, various tetra's, yoyo loaches, dwarf gourami's and 1 other type of fish, a dennison something :S .

Any reply would be much appreciated, THANKS!!!!

Yes they can be agressive, you should really keep them in high numbers, 12 or more, so they fight with one another. Cant advise on stocking with that setup, the Discus was a bit of a curve ball there if its in with the rest of the fish.

Tiger barbs are classified as semi-agressive. They are nippy fish that will bite off pieces of longer finned fish fins, such as Angelfish, and Gourami's. I'd reccomend not keeping them with Discus as they are slower moving fish, and the barbs will unfortunately be much more active. If you're focus is Discus I'd probably go with some Angelfish, Cory catfish, and mabye some rainbows.

However if your focus is tiger barbs, then maybe a speices tank is in order. I myself have around 24 tiger barbs in a 75 gallon with 24 cory catfish and 12 porkchop danios. I love the tank, it's always active and I've never seen any agression issues.

Most reactions

Back