Tiger Barb Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SteakNShrimp

Reaction score
So I have a few questions about Tiger Barbs. What variants are there and are they natural, or have they been dyed or something?

I know of the
- Regular Tiger Barb
- Albino Tiger Barb
- Green Tiger Barb
- Long Finned Tiger Barb
- StrawBerry Tiger Barb
- Platinum Green Tiger Barb

Regular tiger barb is the original fish. From that they developed albino and green tiger barbs. These are natural colour mutations.

Long finned tiger barbs are a natural mutation.

No idea about the strawberry or platinum green. If you have any pictures of them I will be able to offer more info when I see them.

A company Glofish does interesting tiger barbs.
https://www.glofish.com/meet-glofish/glofish-gallery/

There is only one true species, Puntigrus tetrazona, but several selectively-bred variants are now available, including the green, gold, albino, and some others. Maintenance is the same, behaviours are the same, etc.

Some of the varieties are selectively bred, but this species has also been subjected to dye by injection, a cruel practice no aquarist should support. I do not know which "variety" may be subject to this, but I can say that the long-fin, green and albino varieties are selectively bred and not dye injected. I would be very suspicious of others with names like strawberry and platinum green.

Here are some images of the 2 other Barbs

36D8646D-CE4E-4519-B343-B8905D699CDB.png
AAD2040E-2855-46C6-8471-755FFFEE0542.png

So do you think these ones are dyed, because I don’t want to buy dyed fish.

So do you think these ones are dyed, because I don’t want to buy dyed fish.

I would think they certainly are dyed. But if someone else knows differently, I won't argue if they have proof otherwise.

There parents, or parents parents, might have been dyed. But I don’t think that barbs are dyed fish. (Usually) There are some fish where the paint is actually injected into the fish!! :(I don’t like to buy dyed fish either......:/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back