Tiger Barb not eating and staying next to water pump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Yazanfalces

Reaction score
We got a tiger barb a month ago, and everything was fine. Almost 1 week ago it started staying behind the water pump and not eating at all, I have searched the net for pointer of what might be the cause but nothing match's with the symptoms.
I think it might be stress because he is all alone but I don't know. I will attach a photo and of him if anyone knows why and could help me I'm thankful.

What is the size of your tank? Is tank cycled? Tiger barbs need to be in a group of at least 5 if you have a large enough tanks. What are water test results for ph, nitrites , ammonia and nitrates? What is your water hardness? How often do you perform water changes?

Tiger Barbs are by nature feisty and tend to nip fins of one another, or other species. To reduce this, they must be kept in groups of at least 8, and preferably 10-12. A group this size needs at minimum a 30g tank (one with a base dimension of 75cm by 30 cm (30 by 12 inches) and this is just for a group of this species. Larger tanks are needed if other species are to be included.

The stress caused by being on its own is severe. Not knowing the tank size and other fish, I cannot advise you to get more; the best may be to return this one if you do not have the space for a group of 8. And they will fin nip slow or sedate fish.

Hi, not having any real info to go on ,it could be anything from water quality to just a sick fish. In my experience if a fish dies within 6 weeks in a healthy tank, it is a weak fish you got but after that then it's down to some issue with the tank. Also why buy just 1 barb? They are sociable little bullies who interact but that's not to say go out n buy more until you find out why. Sort out the basics and start again. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back