Three spot gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Myraan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was reading big yellow three spots causing trouble on another thread, and wanted to ask, for possible future reference, what sort of tankmates have people had success with them? I have read a lot of advice that they are disruptive so always avoided them in consideration. But every time I see them at LFS or photos on the net, they seem really pretty.

Didn't want to hijack another thread and make it go off topic ;)

It is unfortunate, but this species, Trichopodus trichopterus (all varieties such as blue, gold, marble, cosby, 3-spot, are derived from this species) is one of if not the most aggressive of the small and medium sized species. Gourami males are of course territorial, but in this species this can often be very much heightened, and even females have been known to kill other fish (different species) in the tank. I observed two of these gourami easily closing in on neon tetra and devouring them in a tank in a local store. And a year or so back, one of our members had to put her remaining female in a 10g tank on her own as she was intent on killing every fish in the tank.

Thinking of similar-sized gourami, the Pearl is far more docile (at least for a gourami) and quite beautiful.

Just to add to the above, I came across a current thread with the same issue...aggressive gold gourami that appear to have killed all the small fish in the OP's tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back