The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Reaction score
Hello to all reading this thread,

I am a novice to both forum posting and aquariums.
I did look after a fish tank for a short time 20 years ago but that was pretty simple, feeding & maintenance.
Wanting a pair of Betta fish for his birthday this year, we went to our local aquarium supplier.
ā€œYesā€, said the shopkeeper, Iā€™ll order those for you, but what are you going to keep them in?
ā€œI have a big Stuart crystal bowl and a big crystal jug to matchā€.
There was more talk about cruelty and stuff and what water would I be using as I canā€™t use tap water.
I was lugging water for three months from a running creek, still adding declorinator and conditioner to the water.
I spent quite a bit and we didnā€™t get our beta fish, we ended up with 2 Blackmore, 2 gold sun goldfish and 2 tortoise shell goldfish & 10 somethingā€™s or others, comets perhaps in the other tank.
Learning the goldfish should live 25-30 years if I care for them correctly, I purchased a larger home, it is second hand, lots of days spent cleaning the glass with treated water, the gallon of water I had in the bottom had become green. I kept washing the tank sides and bottom off until it felt like their was no more layers, the glass looked cleaner with most scratches and ,arms dissapearing.
I will put the goldfish in only after I am certain the heating element is working correctly, the filter has aged enough etc.
All ornaments and parts going into the tank were washed beforehand in a gallon of treated water.
I will put the small filter from the goldfish tank into the new larger home when I am moving them, to help with the good bacterial colony.

Attachments

• 9A40651C-FC41-4E20-9514-94AED629AC09.jpeg
    9A40651C-FC41-4E20-9514-94AED629AC09.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 35B201C4-024A-4FA8-863F-4BC1FFB02927.jpeg
    35B201C4-024A-4FA8-863F-4BC1FFB02927.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 209
Welcome! Weā€™ve already done some talking on your other post. Iā€™m glad to hear you are making plans for a larger tank. Single tail goldfish need 100 gallons for one fish. Fancy goldfish need 30 gallons for first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish. The comets and single tail goldfish will grow to well over a foot long. I have moved my 3 single tails to a garden pond. I now have 3 female fancy goldfish in a 55G tank and 2 males in a 45G tank. I breed mine Periodically and sell to a local fish store. Let me know if you have questions. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your welcoming comments.
I had a hunch the goldfish may grow quite large.
I guess an outdoor pond will be the next task for the little family of fish.
I moved the fish last night into a 40 gallon tank, they should be happy for a little while.
We had simply intended to purchase a beta fish each to keep, the shop keep never intended ordering the beta fish but I kept leaving money, hence the tanks, heaters, pumps, siphons and paraphernalia and a fish family.
I became a widower while waiting, the goldfish are keeping me busy.
The Blackmoor are flashing gold and silver in the new tank which is using tap water (treated/aged) whereby I used fresh creek water previous.
Nice to chat, nice to meet.
Thanks again.
ā„¢ļø

Thank you for your welcoming comments.
I had a hunch the goldfish may grow quite large.
I guess an outdoor pond will be the next task for the little family of fish.
I moved the fish last night into a 40 gallon tank, they should be happy for a little while.
We had simply intended to purllchase a beta fish each to keep, the shop keep never intended ordering the beta fish but I kept leaving money, hence the tanks, heaters, pumps, siphons and paraphernalia and a fish family.
I became a widower while waiting, the goldfish are keeping me busy.
The Blackmoor are flashing gold and silver in the new tank which is using tap water (treated/aged) whereby I used fresh creek water previous.
Nice to chat, nice to meet.
Thanks again.
ā„¢ļø
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. I retired last year and the fish help keep me busy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back