Video Threadfin Rainbowfish Mating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I posted this in my journal but thought it might be interesting for others to see this here as well:

http://youtu.be/mKQZMnIwp4w

Haha very cool! Before jumping into this hobby I never realized how fascinating fish can be!

Thanks for posting. I love observing fish behavior.

Excellent little vid :)

Lovely male though, really nice long fins and looks in prime health, very nicely done Daize 

Really nice fish there! I've thought about getting threadfins many times, but sadly they're not suited to any if my tanks :(

Are they in regular tap water?

malfunction said:
Really nice fish there! I've thought about getting threadfins many times, but sadly they're not suited to any if my tanks
sad.png

Threadfins are one one the best rainbows to have as they suit a wide range of parameters, in particular higher pH and harder water but they will be fine in lower pH as low as 5.0 as well as soft water.

So yes, regular tap water with dechlorintor as normal.

I have had thread fins before, lovely little fish to have, lots of character and behaviour to see, especially in a single species tank with  decent numbers in shoal.

Some more info on Threadfins Rainbowfish : 

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/

Ch4rlie said:
Really nice fish there! I've thought about getting threadfins many times, but sadly they're not suited to any if my tanks :(

Threadfins are one one the best rainbows to have as they suit a wide range of parameters, in particular higher pH and harder water but they will be fine in lower pH as low as 5.0 as well as soft water.

So yes, regular tap water with dechlorintor as normal.

I have had thread fins before, lovely little fish to have, lots of character and behaviour to see, especially in a single species tank with  decent numbers in shoal.

Some more info on Threadfins Rainbowfish : 

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/
Thanks for the info. Although, that surprised me because I always thought they'd only breed in low pH conditions for some reasons. Guess I just found a reason another tank!

malfunction said:
Thanks for the info. Although, that surprised me because I always thought they'd only breed in low pH conditions for some reasons. Guess I just found a reason another tank!

I have very hard, alkaline water.  Natural pH is 8.2 although the CO2 probably drops it down a bit.

Linear said:
How are they in community tanks? =]

Not great.  You have to choose tankmates very carefully.  Their mouths are tiny and they are quite fussy eaters, spitting out any food they think is too large.  They are relatively slow-moving and laid back compared to many other fish of similar size and so they are easily out-competed at mealtimes.  Obviously they shouldn't be kept with any fin-nipping fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back