Thoughts on how to keep small fish out of my overflow?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I am using a sump / overflow system on my tank. The overflow vents are located at the top of the tank, and are roughly 1/8'th of an inch wide.

See attached picture. Those little vents at the top just behind the outflow pipe.

Also see, problem fish.

I have had to fish one of these little dues out of the overflow area twice now. ( to be fair, other than the water having some debris in it, its quite livable in there. Some food gets swept in there for him. )

But I would rather stop having to rescue him.

The overflow has 3 sides, and shaped kind of like 3 sides of an octagon if that makes sense.

Anyhow. I am trying to think of a way to keep him from swimming in there till get gets bigger ( if he makes it that long ) that isnt obtrusive or distracts from the aesthetics of the interior of the tank.

Any thoughts or insights would be appriciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 163
  • overflow2.jpg
    overflow2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 144
If you're referring to the tube with the hole, I would affix a small piece of panty hose around the hole with a rubber band. The pantyhose won't affect water flow that much and it should be a good barrier.

For the vents on the box looking thingy, you might also be able to use a cut out of pantyhose and adhere it with some super glue. So get a square or rectangle cut out - whatever would cover the vents, and put a thin line of super glue all the way around the edges.

In terms of not being obtrusive or distracting from the tank aesthetics, you could get black stockings and it shouldn't show up that much.

Affix a small piece of panty hose around the hole with a rubber band. The pantyhose won't affect water flow that much and it should be a good barrier.

What could I use to stuck it in place though that would stand up to water? That overflow is part of/built into the back of the aquarium, and there is no easy way to just afix it in place. I am not referring to that round pipe in the forefront, but those tint little slats in the back. Although I might have an idea now that I think about it...... :)

What could I use to stuck it in place though that would stand up to water? That overflow is part of/built into the back of the aquarium, and there is no easy way to just afix it in place. I am not referring to that round pipe in the forefront, but those tint little slats in the back. Although I might have an idea now that I think about it...... :)
Super glue is frequently used in aquariums. It is fish safe. So you might have to take the overflow unit out if possible or lower the water level enough so you can dry it off then run a thin line of super glue around and affix whatever barrier you are going to use. I'm guessing there are also filter media pads you could use instead of a stocking. Something like this coarse sponge pad you would cut to fit.

Attachments

• 1608569092623.png
    1608569092623.png
    292 KB · Views: 96
Super glue is frequently used in aquariums. It is fish safe. So you might have to take the overflow unit out if possible or lower the water level enough so you can dry it off then run a thin line of super glue around and affix whatever barrier you are going to use. I'm guessing there are also filter media pads you could use instead of a stocking. Something like this coarse sponge pad you would cut to fit.
I figure a sponge though would eventually just slide down the inside of the overflow wouldnt it? That back spot where the overflow is goes all ther way down to the bottom of the aqaurium. I would think that the flowing water would just pull it down to the bottom?

I was thinking of gluing frame for a charcoal pad to slide into around them though. I think I could do that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back