Thought on my new riparian plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Any thoughts on my new riparian plants I bought today 😃 I love them

I have added a pretty big monstera on the left and a never never plant on the right

Also, Cudos to the person who can guess how much I paid for both 😉

Attachments

• FB451E58-B29F-4F3E-B430-9A8463CA575B.jpeg
    FB451E58-B29F-4F3E-B430-9A8463CA575B.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 39
Blimey! I wasnt expecting that! The Monsterra is a great choice and a big plant like that is going to make a massive difference to the water quality. I have to admit I dont know much about the other one, a quick google suggests they can be grown hydroponically but not sure how a plant that size will transition? If that area of the house doenst get direct light I would have a look at getting some house plant lights as I think you are going to need them. It is probably going to be worth getting an aquarium fertiliser too to feed the plants what they might miss from just the nutrients in the water.

Wills

What's a never never plant?

90 pounds sounds a bit expensive for 2 common house plants. I paid $85.00 for a Wollemi Pine but they aren't common. But monsteras are cheaps as chips here.

The monstera doesn't need anything special except something to support it when it gets bigger. They can grow to 6 feet high and if kept long enough can have a stem about 6-8 ft long. They shed l;eaves as the stem grows so you end up with a rhizome type trunk running a bit above the ground and leaves growing off the end of the trunk. They produce a 2ft long flower that is cream in colour and doesn't really smell or seem to attract insects. I'm sure it does, just not here in WA.

Blimey! I wasnt expecting that! The Monsterra is a great choice and a big plant like that is going to make a massive difference to the water quality. I have to admit I dont know much about the other one, a quick google suggests they can be grown hydroponically but not sure how a plant that size will transition? If that area of the house doenst get direct light I would have a look at getting some house plant lights as I think you are going to need them. It is probably going to be worth getting an aquarium fertiliser too to feed the plants what they might miss from just the nutrients in the water.

Wills
Okay I’ve actually got some pets at home fertiliser that I used for my grower outside, I could use that. That area of the house is right next to a ceiling light and faces the double patio doors . Do you still think I’ll need a grow light?

lol I thought ide surprise you haha I wasn’t actually going for this but they had both on special in b and q, £15 for both lol

What's a never never plant?

90 pounds sounds a bit expensive for 2 common house plants. I paid $85.00 for a Wollemi Pine but they aren't common. But monsteras are cheaps as chips here.

The monstera doesn't need anything special except something to support it when it gets bigger. They can grow to 6 feet high and if kept long enough can have a stem about 6-8 ft long. They shed l;eaves as the stem grows so you end up with a rhizome type trunk running a bit above the ground and leaves growing off the end of the trunk. They produce a 2ft long flower that is cream in colour and doesn't really smell or seem to attract insects. I'm sure it does, just not here in WA.
Never never plant or Ctenanthe oppenheimiana

If that helps lol

It was (before clearance price) £22 for the monstera and £72 for the Ctenanthe oppenheimiana

Also somewhere in there, can’t see very well on the picture. Is my (now tiny comparing the other two) parlour palm lol

If the plants are growing hygro? Then I HIGHLY recommend you add Seachem Iron. It will make a huge difference in the speed of growth and health of the Monstera and the Calathea.
Once you see the difference? You will make the Seachem a must really.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back