Thought java fern was dying but I guess it's reproducing?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zHaworthia

Reaction score
I had a java fern in my tank for approximately five days when it started developing little offshoots. Worried about what they were as I got so many answers online, I separated it and put it into a cup of the same aquarium water and Fluorite substrate, with some Osmocote Plus, and under a grow lamp with the rest of my non-aquatic plants. It has been there for around two weeks and I just realized it is reproducing, but I'm a little hesitant to put it back in my tank. The leaf on which the shoots are developing, and two new leaves have sprung out, is beginning to have small holes forming on it and does not look too hot. Any input on what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG-8954.JPG
    IMG-8954.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-8953.JPG
    IMG-8953.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-8952.JPG
    IMG-8952.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 43
The fronds (being a true fern, the "leaves" are termed fronds) show signs of nutrient deficiency. While it does not need bright light, it does need good light (spectrum and intensity) and ome nutrients. Being a slow-growing plant, nutrients do not need to be excessive, and usually this plant will do quite well in an aquarium with fish and not need additional fertilization, though this is a generality. I would put it in your aquarium and attach the rhizome to something like wood or rock; sometimes you can find a crevice to stick the rhizome in (gently, it will break easily), or use fishing line or black cotton thread. Do not bury the rhizome or it usually rots. The fronds and true roots (fine black hair roots) grow from the rhizome.

I will be wrapping the rhizome in black cotton thread as I did with other Anubias in the tank. Thank you for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back