Thorough tank cleaning.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
By that, I don't mean gravel cleaning and filters, but a major overhaul of the tank. My cichlid tank is up and running close on 2 years and in all that time I've never dismantled it to clean under the rocks and bits and pieces. I do gravel cleaning, filter cleaning and water changes regularly and the fish seem happy, maybe a bit overcrowed (still looking for a larger tank) This tank is rockville - with rocks nearly up to the surface and I was wondering if I really had to clean under them every now and then, or just leave them be. And, if I did dismantle it for thorough cleaning, would it cause a mini cycle (something I definitely don't want)

i move my rock work around a lil to get certain hidden places once a week, when i do my cleaning, doesnt hhurt anything. is that what u mean? jsut taking out the rock work and cleaning, than putting it all back together? if so, that won't have any negative side effects. But if u take out everything(like water and stuff) that well, yah, that'll be a bad thing.

The old adage applies here, If it's not broken, don't fix it. Translating this to your tank-well if the fish are happy and you are not having any problems, why change it? If the fish were in nature, who would move their rocks?
It seems that the nirtogen cycle is working properly, so unless you particurarly want to change the scenery and disturb the balance, I would do what you are currently doing and leave well alone. If however you have decided to move everything around and strip down the tank, you will need to do a full cycle and probably need to use a filter maturing bacteria as all the bacteria in the tank will be lost. Most nitrifying bacteria live on hard surfaces such as gravel and rocks, so cleaning them would also clean the bacteria. It will probably take around 2 weeks to build the balance back into your tank.

what would u want to clean from the rocks?

coz i was just thinking my pleco eats the algea....n all the waste drops to the bottom n decays so i wouldnt think it necesary

just a thought

plus 1 of my locals lfs has got 2 big tanks that have been runnin 16 yrs since they opened

Tek :fish:

The rocks make caves - the fish live in the caves and all their poo must fall to the bottom of the rocks. I thought that I might have to dismantle the caves, clean underneath them and then build the whole thing up again. They get stressed enough when I do ordinary cleaning, so I don't really want to put them through the whole upheaval of a major change unless I really have to. I think I will listen to Dragon and leave well alone.

Gases can accumulate below rocks/decorations, so I have seen it recommended to move/clean under them from time to time....but I think that's esp. true of a ugf---which I assume u don't have w/ an african set-up.
By dismantling the tank, I guess u mean removing *all* those rocks. ;)
Just a note: some people silicone the rockwork together...I don't know if that thought appeals to you...but it might make it easier to remove them. :unsure:
I browsed my bks, but didn't find anything definite on moving 'em, other than making sure to clean around the edges. One suggested re-arranging them a few times per yr.
'Course, ya might do it this once...and see what u find---then you'll know if it's something that needs doing again! :hyper: :crazy: :unsure: ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back