Thorichthys maculipinnis (ellioti) spawning

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms. see following link for more info on them.

newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms. see following link for more info on them.
Thank you.
I will go to my local fish shop and see if they have any.

Colin can I just quickly ask-
I have frozen daphnia, artemia and cyclop. Are any of these OK for the fry as well? Or should I stick to fresh brine shrimp etc?
Thanks
Edit** its OK, I read the link, that stuff is good but not right away. .

Daphnia and adult brineshrimp are too big for newly hatched cichlids.

Cyclops are probably a bit big too, but could be ok in a few weeks time.

Thank you.
I did read the link after I posted so edited my comment.
Whats adult brineshrimp known as? I was just going yo get the fresh newly hatched one. As I read thats the only time its actually nutritious?
I'm going to get a dripper to direct the food their way better also.
how long should I wait before I start giving the bigger food? A week or more?
thank you for all the answers. I appreciate it
Would u recommend crushed flakes too? I keep reading in different places to feed crushed/ground flakes also? Or will I stick to better food like live baby B shrimp etc, and is feeding the baby shrimo enough or should i be adding other stuff as well?
Thanks again.

Update-

Parents have ate the babies. I honestly thought they wouldn't have ate them so soon. Everything I read implied it would be around the 2 week mark. Its been a week since eggs were laid. As soon as they were off the sand, wriggling about, (but not swimming round the tank) parents had a meal. Im a bit disappointed, but im sure they will get better at it. Tried rescuing some, mum even tried defending them, which I found kinda odd considering she was eating them, but they didn't make it. Think my filter was too strong for them.
I'll be better prepared when its time to do it again.
Think I may just remove the eggs next time, or let her do this a few times till they get it right?
What would people do?

Think I may just remove the eggs next time, or let her do this a few times till they get it right?
What would people do?
Don't remove the eggs because that is why cichlids eat the eggs and babies.

In Asia and most other fish farms around the world they try to get as many eggs/ fry as possible. To do this they remove the eggs from the parents as soon as they are laid so the parents produce another batch a week later. However, when you remove the eggs and hatch them and rear the fry without the parents, the fry don't learn about brood care and eat their own eggs and young.

The parents normally eat the eggs a few times and then the fry when they hatch and start wriggling. A few more batches later and they finally realise they shouldn't eat the eggs or fry and actually start looking after them.

Your fish didn't eat the eggs but did eat the fry as soon as they started wriggling. Hopefully they will look after the next batch but it might take 3 or 4 attempts before they get it right.

Basically leave them and let them try again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back