This Time I'm Ready

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tonyb111111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My dwarf gouramis have yet again been doing the nasty, but this time I'm ready. Previous spawning has resulted in fish death due to the male protecting his bubble nest from the danios when the lights go out. This time, fry tank ready to go I am sitting and waiting for them to finish their shenanigans, before moving the bubble nest, intact, to the fry tank, using an old ice cream tub. Wish me luck, and drop me some advice if you have any

I am going to try to disagree with your approach. First thing, I have never bred any gouramis so I may be a bit off the mark.
Labyrinth fish that make bubble nests, my experience was bettas, do far more than simply sit around under the nest and defend it from predators. They actively rebuild the nest throughout the time before the eggs hatch and also return eggs that have fallen from the nest back into the nest in a new bubble. Without the adult fish present to tend the nest, most of the eggs will never hatch. That is how I see it from my betta experiences.

OldMan47 said:
I am going to try to disagree with your approach. First thing, I have never bred any gouramis so I may be a bit off the mark.
Labyrinth fish that make bubble nests, my experience was bettas, do far more than simply sit around under the nest and defend it from predators. They actively rebuild the nest throughout the time before the eggs hatch and also return eggs that have fallen from the nest back into the nest in a new bubble. Without the adult fish present to tend the nest, most of the eggs will never hatch. That is how I see it from my betta experiences.

I pretty sure your right, but I had to make a decision. Trouble is my other tank was empty, but ready to go. All set up, mini filter was in the main tank for two months, and the theory was that if the gourami spawned again I would simply fill the other tank with tank water, move the mini filter in and hey presto, I could move the nest and the male into it until the fry emerged and remove the male. The problem was that my wife had removed the glass lid from this tank some time ago and I thought all manner of nasties could be sitting on the gravel. So I made the decision not to put the male in, as losing some eggs/fry i can live with, but not losing my male. I think I did the right thing. I was thinking about making this small tank into a permanent fixture with shrimps, then there should be no issues next time

A long as you don't mind losing eggs and fry, ignore what I said. Other factors can often over-ride saving fry in any one's tank.

Basically spawn gouramis the way you would bettas- OldMan is 100% correct. You need to have a separate tank for this from the outset. It is key that you have a good cover and maintain water and open air temps at similar levels so the new fry can breath air from the surface safely. You need to remove the fm after spawning and the male after the fry go free swimming. I suggest if you have not read anything on spawning bettas that you do so if you can not find any gourami specific info.

Thanks for the advice guys. This been the case TTA, I think that breeding is not a route I want to go down. I love my DG's in a community set up, but do not want to go through the devastation that happened last time when I lost fish to the males protection. In this case, do you guys think it advisable to return the females, or would this have a detrimental affect on the male?

The problems is that for most grouramis the males are the pretty ones and the females are drabber. The problem is it is the males with the mean/aggressive streak, I had a pair of colisa lalia (aka Trichogaster lalius) in my first tank, a 45 gallon. They spawned and the trouble began. First, he chased her into the glass so hard she was dead inside and hour. of course there were no fry since it was a community tank. I also had a red tail black shark in the tank who felt it was the boss. The small male gourami did not agree, may he R.I.P.

How things will work in your tank can be different. You can try it, but be prepared for it not to go well and have a planned out if needed. The bigger a tank the easier it can be to blunt agression.

First, he chased her into the glass so hard she was dead inside and hour. of course there were no fry since it was a community tank. I also had a red tail black shark in the tank who felt it was the boss. The small male gourami did not agree, may he R.I.P. How things will work in your tank can be different.

This made me LOL quite a bit :D

Beyond all expectations I now have about 10 gourami fry. I am currently feeding a couple of drops of liquifry mixed with water, four times a day. Let's see if they make it or not

Update, fry are still going strong and I think, but not sure, there is some colour starting to show. Nearly two months old now, how old do you think before I can let them go?

Update, fry are still going strong and I think, but not sure, there is some colour starting to show. Nearly two months old now, how old do you think before I can let them go?
when they are about an inch long

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back