This Is A Really Dumb Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
aren't they aggressive towards each other? Celes and Luna (before putting them in two different tanks today) kept crossing the barrier and flaring at each other, but never attempting to fight. Luna would flare, and then they'd ignore each other.... and they were in the same side of the tank.

i don't plan on EVER letting them in the same tank again unless they are still around when i set up my sorority tank....

but aren't females as aggressive as males if there is more than one in the same tank (undivided)?

From wht I understand.. and what I plan on doing later muahaha...

Females can be kept in what's commonly called a "Sorority tank".
But you will need at least 6 females (and a tank large enough for them of course) so the aggression can be spread. I think a few people here have fewer than 6 together, but 6 is the ideal minimum number.
You'll also need to have plenty of hiding spots in the tank so they'll be able to retreat.
It'd also probably be a good idea to keep a smaller aquarium open at all times though. Might get a female that's just too aggressive to be kept with others.

ye if you have a soroity tank then 6 min. you can sometimes get away with less my friend had 2 together and they were just fine together but they did have plenty of hiding spots so you could try putting them together in a heavily planted and lots of hiding spots.
Good Luck.

i kept 2 females and 1 male in a tank.But then i found out one was a male so i had 1 female and 2 males in a tank
and they were fine.I think it depends on agrression.If you have agressive females then about 6 or if there quite friendly then you could have 4min.

I got 3 girls and I couldnt bear watching them arguing then one nipped the other so now they are all split up, and they get cross if they see each other.....like old fisher wives arguing over a garden wall...

I knew about 6 for the sorority tank... but my two seemed to get along OK together before I had to seperate them (didn't want to chance anything).

I am looking forward to setting up a sorority tank someday :)

I'd say it depends more on size of tank and how you keep it decorated than number of fish personally. If they're in a confined space (say, ten gallons) and you want to keep only a betta sorority, you'll need at least five or six to spread out agression. If you've got a larger tank with other fish, lots of plants, rocks, wood and other decorations, two or three should work fine. You may get the rare agressive female that behaves like a male, but most aren't going to go out of their way to beat up another female if you give them enough space.

I currently have two in a 22 gallon community, they keep to themselves and don't really notice the other fish or each other for the most part. They will give each other a half hearted flare if they happen to swim near each other, but otherwise there is absolutely no agression.

i have three girls together, for the first day or so they flared and nipped at each other, but nothing too bad, just little "i'm better than you" nips. after the first day, they all settled in and they're perfectly fine with each other.
on the other hand, dolce and cade were in there together and dolce picked on cadence all the time. i eventually moved cade to my 10g, as i thought maybe she'd stand up for herself after a while.

I have 11 female bettas in about 23 gallons, along witha kribensis and 2 amano shrimp. Once they have establishedthe hierachy the aggresion is minamalized. Although they seem to enjoy chaseing one another as if to stamp their authority, but no damage is usually done, once you have a sorority tank set up an average community tank, although lovely, seem dull to watch.

James

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back